New brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooglebass

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to brewing, i have a kit i got from great fermentations, here in indy. I got their easy wheat, but I have found a new love. That is cider and fruit beers, still love the wheat beers though, just with the heat, cider is clean and crisp and refreshing. I currently like angry orchard crisp, and samuel smiths strawberry. I like woodchuck, but the angry is better. I have read a few posts on here, just looking for some more pointers, and some recipes.

I have a thief, hydro, cleaners and most of my supplies to start with. Looking to make 2 Gallons really, for now anyway.

I found this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/kiss-keep-simple-stupid-sweet-tart-cider-333499/ . Was thinking about doing this just not as much, and doing it with fresh apples and juice them all. Any precautions I need to do? Is there a better way to do it? What apples would be best, or what juice from the store? More links for cider basics, or tips i would appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Juicing apples with home equipment is quite inefficient unless you get a proper press. You can make nice products with store bought filtered juice and or apple juice concentrate. I've used the great value brand from walmart with good success. My preference is fresh pressed juice from the cider mill. Unfortunately only available in the fall. WHICHEVER JUICE YOU SELECT MAKE SURE IT IS SULPHITE AND SORBATE FREE.

Eating apples don't make the best cider. You will probably want to add some tartness to your cider.

Back