Apple pie ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This apple pie beer idea is genius, definitely on the to-brew list. However im not terribly keen on adding a gallon of apple cider to the beer. I wonder if racking onto pasteurized apple pulp would be a worthy substitute?

Half a pound of roast barely is probably ok if your mom burnt every apple pie she every made for you. So for those of us with moms that could cook, id shoot for more of a copper/amber. With that grainbill you might only need 1 oz of Roast to get it there. My humble opinion of course :)

This is gonna be pumkin beer all over again i can feel it....Funny story, ask me about it sometime haha

Oh and on hops...never heard of northdown but goldings tend to be pretty earthy, which might be compliment the spices well. However i just may go with something more fruity, centennial or cascade.

I was not keen on adding apple cider to it so instead of using 1 apple in a muslin bag I have 3 different types sliced up they are gala, granny smith, and the worlds best apple honeycrisp. When it goes to the secondary I will be adding vanilla and nutmeg. Once I get out of this boring ass meeting I will be making this beer so i'll post pictures later on.

Ok so I brewed it up there are some photos of how it looked it actually smells really good. It's very dark my og is 1060 so could be intrestimg

image-767209189.jpg

image-3507436669.jpg

image-3471191631.jpg

image-3357317996.jpg

image-496009259.jpg

So i brewed a pumkin beer the fall of 09, i was still pretty new to brewing. I did a partial mash amber base with half a whole pumkin. I think i put a teaspoon of the regular spices and 3 whole cloves, the cloves ended up in the fermenter(big mistake). So the beer turned out like crap, or at least i thought so. My friend however loved it and wanted it, so we haphazardly bottled it and he took most of it home. If he could have kept it to him self it would have been fine, but he shares it with some other people i know. The guy who kinda helped me do my first brews takes one swig and spits it out in the sink in disgust. So the pumkin beer has turned into a bit of a running joke, to this day i get bugged about it.

Heres the best part though, i found the last surviving bottle of it last month. And you know what, it was pretty decent, the cloves had died way down. Only took a year and a half haha.

Mmmmm brewing pics, looks awesome stoutman. Let us know how it turns out. Before i do this recipe im gonna try making a small batch of cider. If it turns out i may add some to the brew.

So after about 14 hours of aggressive bubbling it just stopped. So after dinner and about 2 hrs of no bubbles undecided to toss it in the secondary. I also added about a bowl full of brown sugar and whola it kicked back up again like it was.

I went with the recipie above it turned out real nice less pie tasting I think next time I make it I'm going to adjust brown sugar and cinnamon accordingly.

Interesting, I'd lose the cider and add some roasted apples @ secondary. And yea, no roasted barley. Perhaps some honey malt

Oh I never opted to add the cider I instead just boiled apples in the wort And also used home made apple extract added to the primary and the secondary. I do think the selection of apples is very important I myself used granny smith in the wort and had a mixture for the extract in the primary of honey crisp apples and pink ladies. In the secondary I used a mixture of all 3. I found that the tart from the granny smith shined through the most with the honey crisp and the pink ladies while there certainly not as prevalent. I think next time I do this I will go granny smith and macintosh apples those two seem to have the most flavor. But yeah leave the cider out is my best suggestion.

I'm still kind of a beginner. I saw you did an extract and substituted the white wheat dme and the pilsen light lme.....but what were your grains that you used?

Maybe this shouldn't be my first all grain recipe, but I'm really interested in making it to serve at Thanksgiving!
(Edit: screw it... this one will be mashing mid September!)

Would some biscuit malt give it a pie-crust flavor?

I actually found that same recipe online a few weeks ago, I was the one that left the second to last comment.

You said you used the recipe above did not post what base grains you used and how much? Crystal 60?

Is the 2 lbs of White wheat dry?

This is a yummy fall brew. I will certainly make this one again. It took some time to reach a comfortable balance point, but now it is a well rounded brew. In the first three weeks after kegging and cold-crashing, the apple cider was strong, but that soon mellowed.

I used two Granny Smith apples and two Macintosh apples sliced up and added them in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I used one cinnamon stick dangled into the secondary from dental floss in each 3 gallon secondary. (5 gal brew + 1 gal cider was too big to fit into my secondary containers, so I split it between a corney and a 5 gal carboy) Other than that, I followed the original recipe.

So, I did a 3+ week primary, followed by a two week secondary then a week of carbing/cold crashing. It probably took another week to reach full flavor balance.

I've been trying to decide what to brew for my next round (I usually do 2 batches/month). I'm doing a Pecan Porter and looks like this is the new winner to go with it.

[edit] After looking at it and thinking it over and playing with BeerSmith, I decided on a few changes....

1. I'm adding apples like TrainSafe did for the last 10 minutes of the boil
2. adding a cinnamon stick for the final 5 minutes of the boil (as well as for the last week of fermenting along with the nutmeg and possibly more apple)
3. Eliminating the roasted barley and switching the crystal 60 to crystal 20. It will be much more of a rich golden color.

Nobody has said much about what yeast they used/are using for this. I have some European Ale at home that seems like a good fit.

I made a Caramel Apple Ale yesterday at the request of SWMBO. Base grain was Munich, along with some two row, and some Carapils. I used American Ale from Wyeast. I was hoping to give it a crisp finish where the apple would shine through. Also made home made caramel with 1lb of dark brown sugar and put that into the boil along with 5lbs of diced gala apples. For hops I used 2oz of Hallertau. I'm using my phone to post so I can update with exact quantities of everything later when I get back to my Beersmith if anyone is interested. Only thing I'm upset about is SWMBO cleaned the house the night before brew day and put away my vanilla beans so I forgot to add to the boil. I may just craft an extract tonight and add to the secondary in a couple of days with cinnamon. I had a little sample on the way into primary and it has a sweet start with a hint of apple and finishes with a subtle hoppy bite.

This was an all-grain with a 2 step: saccharification at 148 and mash out at 170. My OG was 1.050 which was only off .002 from Beersmith estimate so I was pretty happy. Will keep you posted.

I've thought about adding some Carmel to this and changing it seasonally to what apples are in season. I'm making it again tomorrow so it's done in time for thanksgiving.

ChrisGeb said:
You said you used the recipe above did not post what base grains you used and how much? Crystal 60?

Is the 2 lbs of White wheat dry?

Yes it was dry.

Back