First heat stick batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giono2

Reaction score
Ok I made up some 1500 watt heat sticks and really like them. Much better than the cold garage here in WI. I added a few of my own touches that really dress them up.

Before I went for the first batch I tested my electric stove and heat stick, and my water topped out at 200 degrees (6 gal). It looked liked a rolling boil, but the temp never broke 200. I tried it again with 2 heat sticks and the stove, and got the same temp. I live pretty close to sea level so I doubt that has anything to do with it. Any ideas? Also, does it really matter if the water doesn't reach true boiling?

My first suspect would be the thermometer. What type are you using, digital, dial, or tube type? For the wort to have a roiling boil like you said I would think you would have had to reached 212F at least. I wouldnt really worry about it, as long as you got a boil your wort should be safe. Maybe try another thermometer as a comparison, put both in a pan of water and bring to a boil. Then compare the readings between the two. Hope this helps.

Back