Citra/Cascade Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14@65dg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
slighty bitter, but drops off to a pleasant rich mouth feel and wonderful aroma
alright so I thought i would try my hand at creating a recipe. I wanted an ale, not too bitter, but a nice hoppy flavor, and mouth feel. this came out nicely, and the wife likes it because the hops give it a fruity flavor. The grain bill might seem like overkill, but I like the flavors

8 lbs american 2 row
1 Lb carapils
1 Lb crystal 10
1 Lb honey malt
.5 oz centenial 60 minutes
.5 oz centennial 30 minutes
1.0 oz cascade 10 minutes
1.0 oz Citra 10 minutes

mash at 153 dg for 60 min. sparge as normal. boil 60 minutes. I let this ferment for 12 days in a bucket, the nottingham seems to work pretty fast, kegged and chilled for 2 days. microfiltered at 1 micron, kegged, rechilled to 38 dg and carbed to 16 PSI (about 3 volumes). this is day 6 and it's nicely carbed, with great flavor, and very clear. i'm on my 3rd glass and heading for more. give it a try, and see what you think.

looks good, might make a 10 gallon batch of this but as a session beer with an OG of 1035 or so.

You must have the same ideas as I do with a summer ale. I was going to use summit but my LHBS was out, however recommended citra which he said was kind of rare for him to get. I used cascade along with the citra, not much though half an ounce of each dryhopped and just bittered enough for an APA style beer. I liked it so much I bought another ounce with an ounce of centennial, kind of want to try an IPA and buy either cascade to go along with it like I did previously, or maybe a strong AA hop and use the centennial for late additions and the citra for some late as well as dryhopping. How strong would you say this recipe was overall? Would an IPA be a bit overpowering with these hops?

Cheers!

Side note: ironically just watched the movie Mad Max for the first time the other day, didn't get your avatar till now. Good Stuff!

Back