My first attempt at water adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czucker

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm just beginning to take a crack modifying my brewing water.

I used the EZ spreadsheet to build a profile for an APA recipe that I've been working on. I basically just tweaked the numbers until I got to where I think is a good place. No real method to it. . .

If anyone wants to have a look and give me some feedback, I'd be grateful.

Here is the link.

Thanks,
Chris

Why add 5 separate salts? Looks a lot more complex than it needs to be. I would just use some gypsum and maybe a bit of epsom salt and be done with it. If that takes your RA too low, just a touch of chalk OR baking soda should take care of it.

Are you tweaking your water, or building RO/distilled water? I think the latter would be the easier way to go about it.

Thanks Scimmia. That's pretty much the sense talking I was looking for. I re-worked it and got it down to three salts. I still end up needing a fair amount of chalk to get the calcium into range while keeping the RA up. . .

And yes, I was tweaking my local (NYC) water. I'll give it a go with distilled water and see where I get. I just hate buying and wasting all that water. . .

Back