Will Fermentation Continue After Yeast Has Flocculated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I know this is a sign that the vast majority of the yeast are no longer in suspension and are done doing business, but in all of your experiences, have you experienced any significant reduction in final gravity after the yeast has flocculated?

This is just a general question. I personally have not had my beers drop at all after the yeast flocculated and I moved to secondary or let rest in the primary for another week or two.

Rarely in beers, but I've seen it in high-gravity ciders and meads.

Well, the beer that raised this question is a 1.104 OG belgian quad...at this point every point below where I am currently at ,1.018, is a bonus!

I know this is an older post but there is more to fermentation than yeast eating sugar. so after the yeast have dropped out they are going back and metabolizing their byproducts they produced early in fermentation.

Well, the beer that raised this question is a 1.104 OG belgian quad...at this point every point below where I am currently at ,1.018, is a bonus!

For a Belgian, raise the temp (up to about 85F) to get everything out of the yeast.

Back