Do I have an Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaerous

Reaction score
I brwed my extract bitter four weeks ago, its still in the fermenter. This is my 4th overall batch, and my 2nd of this kind, so I know what it should look and smell like. About 1 week in I noticed some weird spots floating at the top, it almost looked like a off colored mold. I noticed as well that the krausen didn't look like it did last time - not as big, long lasting, or thick. I smelled the wort probably a week ago and it reeks. It smells like old olive juice or something. I'm suspecting very heavily that I have an infection, but I don't want to dump it all out without being sure. Can anyone give me some info on whats going on here?

Thanks,

More than likely, and without a picture to see it, your "infection" is going to be what 99% of the other new brewer infections tuen out to be. Yeast rafts; little bits of yeast lifted by rising currents of co2 from the trub, that float on the surface of your beer.

They are quite normal.....

I remember reading Revvy's post when I first started brewing a while back, but I had since forgotten. Wise words... I'm 98% sure this batch is infected; I just don't think the taste and smell can be done away with.

Here's a pic.

brew.jpg

Edit: Ok, the pictures isn't showing up for me. You can access it here instead: Infected Brew

The "spots" on the top were much more dense at the beginning, but have since settled out. I wouldn't even bother you guys with this if I didn't make the same recipe a few months ago and have noticed a lot of difference. This stuff just smells 200% different than my last batch and looks a lot worse.

Back