Partial Mash and Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a few different extract brews under my belt and so far they've been very successful. I've stuck to brown ales and spiced/fruit ales to keep things simple so far. Plus I can't get temps low here in south Louisiana anyway. Now I want to make a dry pils as we head into Winter and the temp drops. I notice (based on others results) it seems to be practically impossible to get a very light, dry beer using extract so I thought about making the jump to partial mash (using the great tutorial on stove top partial mash from this site). All grain seems to be too much for me in terms of space and equipment right now.

With partial mash can I get a fairly light, dry pils?

If so, I want to adapt an all grain recipe I had recommended to me. Out of 9.75 Pilsner base, how much can I replace with pils DME and still get benefits of a partial mash?

You can get very low-SRM beers using Pilsner malt and extra light (Pilsner) DME, especially if you maximize your grain volume and add the DME as close to flame-out as you are comfortable with. I usually mash about 7-8 lbs of grain and use DME for the remainder of fermentables.

Mash as much grain as you comfortably can and try to mash on the low side (150). Then wait until the last 10 minutes of the boil to add your extract and you should come out with a pretty light colored beer. I've been surprised with how light colored I've been able to make some beers - even using regular light LME - by doing a 4-5 lb mash and saving all of the extract until the end. Mashing on the low side will increase fermentability and help it finish dryer.

Back