Richmond VA Water Good for Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInVA

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to homebrewing and have always used store bought spring water to brew with. Looking at the water profile for Richmond VA, there looks to be some chloramines in the water. Just curious if any Richmond brewers use straight tap water, filter it in some way, or just purchase water from the store? Thanks.

Personally, I used distilled water and add minerals to create a specific profile, depending on the beer I'm brewing.

If not that, then just buy some water jugs labeled "drinking water" (not spring or mineral) like ozarka's or nestle's.

Welcome to HBT!
I don't use Richmond water but it can't be worse than Omaha's water. We have hard, minerally water with chloramine.

I use a water filter and campden tablets to treat my water for brewing. I bought a recreational vehicle water filter from Walmart and a potable water hose.

Run the water very slowly through the filter and it takes some of the crud out. After I get my volume of water, I dissolve campden and add that to take out the chloramine. There are some filters that remove chloramine but they costs big bucks. :(

I do use Richmond tap water with no filtering. I haven't noticed any problems, but I may have a different opinion after I get my score cards back from the Dominion Cup.

Back