Need some help with my Brew Stand... Please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePearsonFam

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am in the middle of my brew stand construction. I have started a thread for it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/1-tier-brew-stand-new-construction-118964/

Here is what I need for help... please

1) Is there a reason why I can't use ruber air hose (oil and abrasion resistant) for my propane delivery tube? The only reason I can think of is that Propane (being a petroleum product) would degrade the rubber hose over time but propane lines are rubber too... Anyway, you can see the tubes if you go to the photo link here: Picasa Web Albums - Beech Ridge Brewer - 1 Tier Brew S...

2) When I attach my propane lines and fire up the burners, everything works terrific until I really crank up the flow rate of Propane. When I get the flames ripping out of the burners the Propane stops flowing and the flame goes out on both burners. I have to remove the main connection from the tank (the large, safety connection that mates with the shut off valve on the tank itself) and reconnect. Once I've done that, the gas flows again (until I get both burners really ripping). I'm going to try a second tank in case it is a function of the tank. If it isn't the tank, then it is regulator. Do any of you know why this is happening? The following is the product list for the burners and connections:

2 x Bayou Classic High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner (SKU: BG14): 210,000BTU / 10" Diameter
1 x Bayou Classic PSI Adjustable Propane Regulator (SKU: 7850): Bayou Classic 0-30 PSI
2 x Bayou Classic Brass Control Valve / Knurled Needle Valve (SKU: NV108P)
2 x Rubber Air Hose: 3/8" Inside Diameter, 18" Long
1 x Rubber Air Hose: 3/8" Inside Diameter, 36" Long
1 x Brass Tee: 3/8" NPT Female on T 'top', 3/8" NPT Male on T 'stem'
4 x Brass Male Barb Adapter: 3/8" NPT Male to 3/8" Barb
2 x Brass Female Barb Adapter: 3/8" Female to 3/8" Barb
1 x Brass Quick Connect: 3/8" NPT Female to Quick Connect
1 x Brass Quick Connect: 3/8" NPT Male to Quick Connect

Again, you can see the assembly by following the link above.

Thank you for the help!!!
Rob

The gas flow is stopping because there is a safety function built in. This is there to STOP the flow of LP if there is a leak and the flow is too great. This is pretty common when running high BTU burners, or multiple burners off one tank. Not sure how to stop that safety function from stopping the flow.

Bummer... Thanks for the speedy post. I suppose I could run off two tanks but that kinda defeats the purpose of the tee. I REALLY have to crank the gas to get the system to shut down. I doubt that I'll need BOTH burners running at that output very often. I figure one will be on high when boiling the water for the HLT and then that one will be turned down/off when I am running my boil.

The problem is that I am new to AG and I am trying to build this now... I am putting the cart before the horse a bit BUT I have tools/supplies available to do this now. I am getting ready to move to FL and I won't have the shop there to do this. Anyway, does my assumption about having both cranking at the same time seem reasonable?

Thanks again, Rob

Yah, I dont see why youd have an HLT and BK running at the same time really, especially full bore.

I know for damn sure that I would not be using any hoses or lines not specifically rated for propane. Although many regulators are hooked to the tank using rubber hoses they would appear to be specifically made for propane (high pressure). With a brew stand I would want something with a stainless braid over the rubber or hard pipe. Don't skimp on stuff that can kill you.

Those safety valves are very sensitive and could be tripping because of the use of the wrong hose or a very small leak you are unaware of. Several companies sell devices that let you run multiple burners off of one tank, so it can work.

Back