Is Your Favorite LHBS Listed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped over at the Local Home Brew Store List page of the Wiki to see if there were any LHBS's around me that I didn't know about. Come to find out, several that I know of in the local area weren't listed, so I added them. Then I added another 20 or so in CA.

Is your favorite LHBS listed on the wiki? If just a fraction of us check, we'll have practically all of them listed in short order and a comprehensive list.

My local 2 1/2 hour away brew store is on there.
I like a list like this though. One more resource.
When I go out of town I will Google homebrew and the city I'm heading for a lot of times to see if there is any place cool that I need to stop at.

My local 2 1/2 hour away brew store is on there.
I like a list like this though. One more resource.
When I go out of town I will Google homebrew and the city I'm heading for a lot of times to see if there is any place cool that I need to stop at.

I did that for all of the Nor Cal towns I find interesting enough to think up off the top of my head. There's a surprising lack of LHBSes (3 of them, in fact) on the entire north coast (250+ miles), exactly where there are oodles of microbreweries. Just a few:

* North Coast Brewing Company
* Anderson Valley Brewing Company
* Bear Republic Brewery
* Russian River Brewing Company
* Lagunitas Brewing Company
* Mad River Brewing Company
* Eel River Brewing Company
* Mendocino Brewing Company
etc etc..

Driving over an hour inland only nets you one additional LBHS in Redding.

Moving even a few miles south of Ukiah we find tons of North Bay LBHS's. Go figure.

Stopped over at the Local Home Brew Store List page of the Wiki to see if there were any LHBS's around me that I didn't know about. Come to find out, several that I know of in the local area weren't listed, so I added them. Then I added another 20 or so in CA.

Is your favorite LHBS listed on the wiki? If just a fraction of us check, we'll have practically all of them listed in short order and a comprehensive list.

Just listed mine in MA.. Thanks for thinking of this, good idea!

Just peeked at the edit history for this wiki page, and it's apparent that we've had way more edits tonight than it looked like on the face of things.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php?title=Local_Home_Brew_Store&action=history

Thanks everybody. :rockin:

I need to ask Jeff at Jasper's why he's not listed in the BYO index. At least he's in the AHA listings. :D There's another HBS in Salem, NH but from what I've heard, and from the phone conversation I had with someone that works there, they're not worth trub. :eek: :D

Neither my province (Nova Scotia) nor my brew shop (Noble Grape) were listed.

They are now. :)

I need to ask Jeff at Jasper's why he's not listed in the BYO index. At least he's in the AHA listings. :D There's another HBS in Salem, NH but from what I've heard, and from the phone conversation I had with someone that works there, they're not worth trub. :eek: :D

I added one of those in CA.

Should be fairly obvious to anybody looking, as he doesn't have a website at all and has only 2 stars on Yelp!. May be a viable emergency LHBS though.

I added one of those in CA.

Should be fairly obvious to anybody looking, as he doesn't have a website at all and has only 2 stars on Yelp!. May be a viable emergency LHBS though.

The one in Salem, NH would be my last ditch source. I'd rather drive into MA to make purchases. :eek:

I called asking if they had, or could get, me WLP099 vials. The bonehead on the phone said that Wyeast has strains that are just as strong. :confused: Ummm, no, they don't. He mentioned the Trappist strain... WTF? It goes to about 11%, NOT 25%. The closest Wyeast has is their Eau de Vie, which I've got a batch using (mead).

Went to Modern in Cambridge after confirming they had a few vials on hand and got it same day. IF Jasper's carried White Labs, I would have just gotten it there.

The one in Salem, NH would be my last ditch source. I'd rather drive into MA to make purchases. :eek:

I called asking if they had, or could get, me WLP099 vials. The bonehead on the phone said that Wyeast has strains that are just as strong. :confused: Ummm, no, they don't. He mentioned the Trappist strain... WTF? It goes to about 11%, NOT 25%. The closest Wyeast has is their Eau de Vie, which I've got a batch using (mead).

Went to Modern in Cambridge after confirming they had a few vials on hand and got it same day. IF Jasper's carried White Labs, I would have just gotten it there.

Ah. This one's a little different from what I gather.

Took the idea of a brewhouse dog and extended it to a brewing supply cat.

Tries to talk customers out of purchasing things he stocks.

Doesn't clean the place.

Is rude to customers who interrupt his personal calls at the front desk.

Ah. This one's a little different from what I gather.

Took the idea of a brewhouse dog and extended it to a brewing supply cat.

Tries to talk customers out of purchasing things he stocks.

Doesn't clean the place.

Is rude to customers who interrupt his personal calls at the front desk.

Wow... what an ashhole... :D Glad I've not gone in there. Had he done that to me I would have told him what I think and then what he can do with himself, and how I'd never be back. I'd make it a point to NEVER go back. Might even report him to the BBB... :eek: :D

If you're selling things, you should at least have SOME knowledge of what you're selling. Find out what the customer is looking for, what his/her budget level is, and then give at least two options. Unless there really is only one option (like beer line) carried. If the store continues on that path, I cannot see them lasting very long.

Wow... what an ashhole... :D Glad I've not gone in there. Had he done that to me I would have told him what I think and then what he can do with himself, and how I'd never be back. I'd make it a point to NEVER go back. Might even report him to the BBB... :eek: :D

PM sent with link to his reviews. Don't want to air his business name publicly, just in case. Enjoy the read. :cross:

Back