First Use of New (to me) ingredients (Rye and Calypso)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
After much deliberation I have decided to brew a simple (yet complex) ale that feature a variety of base grains, a moderate mash temperature to showcase the grains, and a fairly aggresive hops schedule to showcase and highlight calypso hops. I am trying to buck the trend of darker, stronger, maltier winter ales. I am going pale, dry and hoppy. I will use an extended to mash to give the enzymes extra time to work on the oats and rye.

I have never used this much rye in an ale, and calypso hops are new to me and I have a pound to burn. Let me know what you think!

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 14.26 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Yeast = WLP001
Fermentation Temp = 65 F
Pitch Temp = 60 F

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.28 %
6.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 22.64 %
6.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 22.64 %
2.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.43 %
1.00 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
2.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (15 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
2.00 oz Calypso [12.00 %] (15 min) Hops 17.4 IBU
2.00 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
2.00 oz Calypso [12.00 %] (5 min) Hops 7.0 IBU
2.00 oz Calypso [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.79 %
Bitterness: 47.9 IBU
Est Color: 5.4 SRM

Mash Profile

Total Grain Weight: 26.50 lb
Sparge Water: 9.16 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0

Mash Step
120 min Step Add 33.13 qt of water at 169.9 F for 154.0 F mash rest

First glance looks good. 20% is a perfect level of rye imo (I love it in a saison), and I bet it will blend nicely with those Calypso hops. Might want to throw some rice hulls into the recipe- 20% rye is right about the point when my braid starts to gum up.

First glance looks good. 20% is a perfect level of rye imo (I love it in a saison), and I bet it will blend nicely with those Calypso hops. Might want to throw some rice hulls into the recipe- 20% rye is right about the point when my braid starts to gum up.

Excellent, do you think my decision to avoid specialty grains is a good one?

Looks good. I agree 20% rye is a good amount. Sounds like a nice brew.

I have been on a rye kick lately and have been brewing them a lot.

My experience with the Calypso hops -- great bittering, flavor and aroma profile greatly exaggerated in the write-ups at the stores selling these hops. I detected no flavor or aroma when I did a SH brew with Calypso.

My experience with the Calypso hops -- great bittering, flavor and aroma profile greatly exaggerated in the write-ups at the stores selling these hops. I detected no flavor or aroma when I did a SH brew with Calypso.

Ohh, maybe I will swap out some of the finishing and dry calypso for something else....

You probably didn't use enough. I made a all-calypso IPA and got really good results. It almost has a minty flavor and excellent floral aroma.

My hop schedule for a 11.0 gallon batch was:

2.0 oz mash hops
1.0 oz 60m
1.0 oz 45m
1.0 oz 30m
1.0 oz 15m
2.0 oz 0m
2.0 oz dry hop (1 oz per 5.5 gallon fermenter).

MC

You probably didn't use enough. I made a all-calypso IPA and got really good results. It almost has a minty flavor and excellent floral aroma.

Interesting. My hope was to have the Apple and Pear tastes that were described on Austin Home Brew's website. It doesn't sound like you had those either though. Interesting description you've noted with the mint-like flavor. I might revisit Calypso in the future.

I will say, they are probably some of the cleanest bittering hops I've ever used.

Interesting. My hope was to have the Apple and Pear tastes that were described on Austin Home Brew's website. It doesn't sound like you had those either though. Interesting description you've noted with the mint-like flavor. I might revisit Calypso in the future.

I will say, they are probably some of the cleanest bittering hops I've ever used.

Agreed. I almost get a "hot" feeling (mint-like) in the mouth when I drink it. My neighbors ALL loved it. And the hot is NOT from higher alcohols, as it was fermented identically to the previous batches, and the same grain bill.

Apple + pear? I never tasted that.

MC

Excellent, do you think my decision to avoid specialty grains is a good one?

I think it's fine. The rye gives it a little more body than normal.

I have gotten good flavor and aroma off of Calypso (mostly apple), but I used a lot.

I just had a pound of fresh Amarillo fall into my possession. Do you think calypso and Amarillo would be a good combo? I am assuming it sure would be.

I did an all calypso IPA and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did get some apple and pear character, but I think that perception was driven mostly by the aroma. That was my first use of the hop and since then it's been a staple bittering hop, with great results. But be warned, as a bittering hop a little goes a long way.

I have used it with amarillo and simcoe and it plays nice.

Just an update on this ale.

OG = 1.065
FG = 1.017
Tasting Sample before dry hop (fermentation was complete in 5 days), was a bit fiery and fruity.

I will provide further updates but I think it is going to be a malty/hoppy treat.

Back