New to Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franklinswheat

Reaction score
Does anybody cold crash prior to moving from primary to secondary.. if so do you do it again from seconday to keg also?

I crash right from primary to bottling. Works wonders on the trub in bottles. You can give a beer to somebody without worrying about providing detailed instructions on pouring it.

I crash right from primary to bottling. Works wonders on the trub in bottles. You can give a beer to somebody without worrying about providing detailed instructions on pouring it.

+1

I just did my first cold crash of the primary, then straight to a keg. Pouring nice and clear.

if I understand it correctly, you just take primary fermenter with yeast cake and all to some cool place?

for how long? and what are the temps of cold crashin - I have a bit nasty brew comming along, I think it would benefit from extra clearing.

Most people use their lagering cooler or a serving fridge, if you don't have such a place I don't know what you would use. The colder the better down to freezing, and for as long as it takes to get it as clear as you want.

I have cool garage where I store beer - its about 55F, can go bit lower...

Just one question - if I bottle the beer, wont the yeasties be all settled down after the crash and beer would not carbonate?

mhm, yea, night are getting really cool - can drop it outside as well overnight

There will be plenty of yeast still in suspension even if you can't see it, unless you crash it for a year or two.

Just one question - if I bottle the beer, wont the yeasties be all settled down after the crash and beer would not carbonate?

I've got the same question. Does cold crashing mess up bottle conditioning? I always feel like I should be handing out instruction manuals when I give away my beer. Could some one clear this up for us?

There will be plenty of yeast still in suspension even if you can't see it, unless you crash it for a year or two.

Ahh, that clears it up... in more than one way :mug:

Worst come, I can use balcony for overnight - cover fermenter with some PET bag to avoid rain/etc and I think it should be fine.

thank you!

P.S.
now I think that explains why my beers carb in room temp in just few days - plenty of yeast afloat, while it still looks clear, I think I should expect longer carbonation if I cold crash it.

Back