Holding your Temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you go about holding your temps? I just reheat but I was wondering if there are easier more stable ways.

Are you talking about holding the right temp in the mash tun? A lot of people use coolers for their mash tuns because they are insulated and will hold temps reasonably well, especially if the lid is insulated. Another option is the HERMS or RIMS type system where the mash is recirculated through an external heat source and back into the mash tun to maintain the proper temp or step up to a different temp.

I put my pot in the oven set to warm with a thermometer in there to be sure I'm in the ball park I need to be. Then go to the hot water heater closet when appropriate.

If I want to hold the cheese at 89*F say, I will keep the water bath in the sink around 92*F. It requires adding about 16oz of boiling hot water every 10 minutes. Not to difficult to stay within one degree this way. A cooler would probably work well if I had one the right dimensions to hold my pot.. which I don't. On the plus side, standing around monitoring the temp of the water bath gives me plenty of time to drink homebrew. :D

I am not very educated at this process yet, so my comment is just my opinion from what I have read so far. Moving the cheese pot around during the process is not good because you do not want to disturb the curds during formation. Once the curd is set and you cut, you can of course move the pot because you will be stirring the curds from time to time.

A double boiler or a smaller pot inside of a larger one will allow you to heat the water in the larger pot to maintain the temperature in the smaller one. The smaller pot should not come in contact with the bottom of the larger pot because it will pick up heat from the heat source.

Or you can just add some hot water to your sink - this is the easiest way but not necessarily the best way to do it.

Salute! :mug:

Back