Creating a Yeast Starter for a 5g batch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS earlier today and she told me i would not benefit much making a yeast starter out of dry yeast. Also i just read on another forum that making a starter for batches 5g and under is not really necessary. I was just curious to get other people's opinions on this issue. Any advice would be helpful!

If you're using dry yeast, you can just reconstitute it as per the directions and pitch. I believe one 11 gram packet has the recommended cell counts for a five gallon batch, but someone might want to elaborate on that.

Liquid yeast, such as Wyeast and White Labs, pretty much require a starter. A stir plate is almost a requirement as well. A 1 liter with stir plate will get the cell counts you need. A 2 liter starter -- shaken -- might be just enough.

Would a smackpack be the little yeast packet that comes with most beer kits?

Depends - A smackpack would be a packet that looks like this:
Wyeast Laboratories. Activator™

You smack (break) the inner packet (contains the activator), shake (to allow the activator to mix with the yeast)and let sit for at least three hours (can pitched immediately as well) The packet will swell up to about the size of a beer can.

Back