Wine Cooler Temperature Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croid

Reaction score
So the lovely wife surprised me with a present for my new hobby. A wine cooler that she scored off of Craigslist! (She’s pretty cool like that, plus I think she’s starting to get interested in it too). Anyway, the wine cooler works great to about 55 degrees, but I'd like to have it be a kegerator as I can easily fit two corny's in there and would still have plenty of room left over.

I've done some searching and found out that I could put a potentiometer (not sure what that is really, or how to do it) in there to adjust the temperature to what I'd need, but is that really a good way to go? Can the Wine Coolers handle going colder? I just didn't know if that would be "bad" on it and make it poop out faster. Also, apparently this is a three zone cooler and so the bottom is supposed to be cooler than the top, not sure if that matters or not. (Here’s the model if that matters)

I also have a mini fridge like this one, and didn't know if it would be possible to just take the guts from it and put it into the wine cooler. That may be more work than it's worth, but just a thought I had, as it can get pretty cold.

Any ideas/thoughts/advice on what to do? Is the potentiometer the best route?

The link to the wine cellar is broken...

What about using it as a lagering vessle/ fermentation cooler for the summers? From the sounds of it - it'd need no modification whatsoever for that purpose...

Just a thought... most wine cellars I've seen have had insulation that was... lacking... and the unit may work itself to death if asked to cool more than it was designed to...

Yeah, I've thought about using at a lager fermentor, but I'm just getting into this, and haven't even started thinking about getting to that point yet. I guess I'd always have it on hand if I needed to. I was just hoping to be able to use it as a Kegerator, since she got a pretty good deal on it. I guess we wouldnt' be out too much anyway.

Sorry about the broken link. Let's see if this works:

KitchenAid Undercounter Wine Cellar KUWS246EBL Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com

Back