Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001SE

Reaction score
Doing a R.J Spagnols Bergemain 4 week wine kit. Now the wine is in the secondary and is done clarifying, so I'me ready to filter and bottle. Now my brother was telling me to racking it again and leave it an other week for it to age a bit more more. Does this makes sense?

Thanks

I don't make wine, but from what I have read most people rack several times before bottling. Possibly even as many as 3-4.

rack and let sit till you need to bottle ! ill rack several times in the first month and then rack every so often till the bubbles stop then just leave till i want to bottle !

You risk oxidation with frequent racking. I follow the instructions for the particular kit and after the final stabilization step, I leave it in the carboy for months before bottling, without racking again. I also rarely filter since extended bulk aging will cause practically all suspended particles to drop out of the wine.

Back