UH OH Possible Bottle Bombs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpz28

Reaction score
Last week I bottled a batch of red ale using the conventional 5 oz of corn sugar. A week later (I know I should be waiting longer) I open one (warm) and it is a total gusher. The beer is already carbed in a week ! The only thing I can think that I did is when dissolving the corn sugar in a pint of water, I let it boil a bit long. Since I boiled it longer the sugar water's consistency was thicker, do to more water boiling off. I stirred it in decently when it was added to the brew. The bottles are in my basement where it is a steady 70 degrees F. What should I do ? Leave 'em alone ? Try to make room in my fridge to cool down 2 cases of beer? In all of my batches I've never had this problem before. Thanks in advance, Adam.

It's not carbed in a week....it gushed but it hasn't reabsorbed back into your beer...

That's what you get for not waiting. (Why is it that so many of you n00bs KNOW you're doing wrong, do it anyway, and not connect what you did to the problem you create an are my beer ruined thread? :D)

Read this and watch the video...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

And then leave the bottles alone for 2 weeks!!!!!!

Stepaway_copy.jpg

(Why is it that so many of you n00bs KNOW you're doing wrong, do it anyway, and not connect what you did to the problem you create an are my beer ruined thread? :D)

It's like when they put the electrical barrier between the rat and his food. He knows he's gonna get shocked, but dang it, he just wants his food so bad.

For the record I drank the beer and it was carbed. I've had one week bottled beer before that was completly flat. I've had one week bottled beer that was semi carbed but never fully carbed. I like to taste the beer when it is green to see how the flavor changes. I am still fascinated with what a difference a week makes. Some might say I am wasting it by not waitng until it's prime, but I still have plenty of bottles of beer from 10+ batches ago.

For the record I drank the beer and it was carbed.

just because it fizzed doesn't mean it was properly carbed is what Revvy was sayin'

I too like tasting beer throughout its aging process. I bottle mainly in liter bottles, but always do a few 12oz'ers to taste at one week, two weeks, and then the magical 3 weeks.

It's like when they put the electrical barrier between the rat and his food. He knows he's gonna get shocked, but dang it, he just wants his food so bad.

And yet the entire point of this entire forum is to discuss beer, brewing, and to ask questions. Revvy's got a good point about the need to chill out and wait on your beer to reach it's potential, but I'm not ready to kill you because you've asked a question that's already been asked, nor am I going to tell you what a noob you must be because you didn't wait.
I like to taste the beer when it is green to see how the flavor changes.
+1
It's good to train yourself to identify the flavors that are off, and will mellow.
I open one (warm) and it is a total gusher.
Chill one (or 2) for 2 days. Try them. If they still gush....You've got issues. There is a good chance that if you only have 1 gusher and the rest are ok, you could have had an infected bottle, and the rest were clean. If some are good, some Gush, and some are flat, you did a poor job of mixing in your priming sugar.

Back