Let beer warm to room temp between cold crashing and bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
I'll be pulling my first brew in a few days after a week of cold crashing and wonder if it's fine to mix in the sugar and bottle right away or if it's best to let it warm up first.

I'm using the 2 bucket system, and will be transferring from the fermentation bucket to the bottling bucket when the cold crash is finished.

Idk,but a week cold crashing might be a touch much to keep enough yeast in suspension to bottle carb with. Let it warm up to room temp either way before priming & bottling.

Union: How long can you cold crash before bottle priming? I've been wondering if it would help my cream ale clear better. 24 hours long enough?

I was told on here to cold crash for a week at 35 F. I did wonder the same thing about the yeast. As for temps, I bet each individual bottle will warm to room temp faster than if I just let the bottling bucket sit and get up to room temp. Smaller volumes adjust temp more rapidly, and then there's the 3 week room temp aging time before putting the bottles in the fridge.

Just what I'm thinking. Don't really know.

One day should be good,maybe a day & a half,giving it time to chill down. Cold crashing shouldn't go on for too long,imo. Wanna keep some yeast in suspension. Using a high flocculation yeast helps a lot too. That way I can bottle beer that's clear or slightly misty. In 3 days,it's settle out clear with only a light dusting on the bottom of the bottles. No cold crash needed with high flocculation yeast,or at least medium.
Smaller volumes in the bottles would raise temp faster,but the yeast might go dormant in the bottles by then. Or worse,get shocked.

Well, I can get ready to bottle tomorrow. I started the cold crash Tuesday morning.

Maybe take it out this afternoon to let it warm up overnight before bottling? Some yeast will get back into suspension.

Maybe take it out this afternoon to let it warm up overnight before bottling? Some yeast will get back into suspension.

That I can do.

Any advantage to bottling tonight instead of tomorrow, or should I give it overnight for the yeast to get back in suspension?

I'd let it sit out overnight. Their won't be a lot of visible difference,but there will be more of'em swimin around.

I'd let it sit out overnight. Their won't be a lot of visible difference,but there will be more of'em swimin around.

Cool. Just brought it in.

So a short cold crash is sufficient to let the dead yeast settle out but the live yeast remain in suspension? It took most of Tuesday in the fridge to come down from room temp to 35.

I haven´t found problems myself bottling cold from a beer that´s been cold crashed for a week, there will be enough yeast in suspension, depending on the yeast can take a little longer to carb but that´s it. I do this almost every time.

I haven´t found problems myself bottling cold from a beer that´s been cold crashed for a week, there will be enough yeast in suspension, depending on the yeast can take a little longer to carb but that´s it. I do this almost every time.

+1. There are going to be yeast in there. Plenty of yeast.

^ awesome. I'm happy with my beers but a little more clarity would make them perfect.

Also you'll need to take into consideration your temp when adding priming sugar. A certain amount of C02 remains in suspension at colder temps and adding the normal amount of sugar will cause your beer to be over carb'd

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

***IGNORE THIS POST- THE PEOPLE BELOW SET ME STRAIGHT- THANKS ALL**

Also you'll need to take into consideration your temp when adding priming sugar. A certain amount of C02 remains in suspension at colder temps and adding the normal amount of sugar will cause your beer to be over carb'd

That´s not entirily truth you account for the maximum temp the beer sat. If you fermented at 68F and bottle at 35F you input 68 in your calculator and not the current temp.

This is not exactly true. You have to take into account peak temperature during fermentation. This is because you have a constant stream of CO2 bubbling through the liquid that can be easily absorbed. Since at the time of cold-crashing there is no longer active fermentation going on, merely dropping the temp is not going to cause that much CO2 to go into solution. There will be an increase in CO2 from the headspace CO2 coming to equilibrium at that new temperature, but it will not be as robust as if your beer were (somehow) 4 degrees during active fermentation.

Edit: Oblivious beat me to it.

Holy Crow!

Sorry for the mis information and thanks for setting me straight!

There should still be some co2 in solution at cold temps. Warm temps not so much. Remember fridging bottled beer gets more co2 from the head space into solution. Basically the same thing here. Just lower levels. And the beer would take longer to carb since cold crashing drops more of'em out of suspension compared to just sitting at room temp.

Whelp, thanks for the info, all. Reckon I'll just put in as much priming sugar as the directions call for after I siphon to the bottling bucket, stir 12 times as per the directions, bottle it up and see what happens in a month. Sure tasted like beer when I took the SG reading on Tuesday. :D

I'll chime in, too. There is NO issue with cold crashing for a week and then bottling cold. You are dropping out more than just yeast during the crash but there will be PLENTY left to carb your bottles.

IMO, warming up after a cold crash somewhat defeats the purpose.

Think about lagers. You can lager for weeks/months and still bottle without issue or without having to add yeast so a week isn't going to cause you any issues.

I'll chime in, too. There is NO issue with cold crashing for a week and then bottling cold. You are dropping out more than just yeast during the crash but there will be PLENTY left to carb your bottles.

IMO, warming up after a cold crash somewhat defeats the purpose.

Think about lagers. You can lager for weeks/months and still bottle without issue or without having to add yeast so a week isn't going to cause you any issues.

That makes sense. I still worry about priming sugar not fully mixing with 35F beer for those of us who bottle prime. I am going to try cold crashing this cream ale though to see if it helps it clear better.

That´s not entirily truth you account for the maximum temp the beer sat. If you fermented at 68F and bottle at 35F you input 68 in your calculator and not the current temp.

I can't believe I never realized this before. I typically didn't do the temp correction, certain calculators didn't include it. The last two beers I've bottled haven't carbed sufficiently and now I know that it's because I input 38-40* for the beer temp, instead of the fermentation temp. It changes the volume of priming sugar pretty significantly (1.8oz vs. 2.5oz in some cases).

That makes sense. I still worry about priming sugar not fully mixing with 35F beer for those of us who bottle prime. I am going to try cold crashing this cream ale though to see if it helps it clear better.

You have two choices:
If you truly bottle prime (adding sugar to each bottle) they will eventually warm up and the sugar will dissolve and be eaten by the yeast.
If you batch prime (use a separate bucket) mix the sugar with 1/2 to 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, then cool off.

Either way, it WILL get mixed. I used to swirl the bottles around and invert them when I first started and bottle primed my first few batches until I found out/realized/was told that it wasn't needed. It's one less thing to worry about.

I can't believe I never realized this before. I typically didn't do the temp correction, certain calculators didn't include it. The last two beers I've bottled haven't carbed sufficiently and now I know that it's because I input 38-40* for the beer temp, instead of the fermentation temp. It changes the volume of priming sugar pretty significantly (1.8oz vs. 2.5oz in some cases).

You are not the only one. I know a lot of people who have been brewing for over a year and still don't "get" this.

I figure I'm past the point of no return on this. Wort is back in the house warming through 55 degrees on the way up to room temp. I'll be adding priming sugar to the bottling bucket as the directions suggest, and will go from there.

Directions on the kit don't call for cold crashing anyway, just bottling once the SG hits target, all at room temp. Cold crashing was an idea I got on here to help clear the beer more. Worst comes to worst, I'll have beer that's a little cloudier than if I'd let it cold crash longer. I can live with that as long as it tastes good.

Learned a lot in a short while on my first batch from all the great advice on this forum. Probably everything will turn out just fine, and I'll have learned a few tweaks for my nut brown ale coming up. :)

You are not the only one. I know a lot of people who have been brewing for over a year and still don't "get" this.

Coupled with the fact that I rarely bottle (kegs), I just started pulling up calculators on my phone and was like, oh, temp correction? OK. Stupid me.

I think I'm going to have to study up on these calculators and software for brewing. I know that stuff is available here on HBF. My next brew is also a Muntons extract kit, and after that I'll probably switch to full boils but still with pre-packaged grain/hops kits for a few batches. Maybe then I'll start branching off, and calculators/software will be handy things.

Meanwhile, today is bottling day. My first one. :)

Coupled with the fact that I rarely bottle (kegs), I just started pulling up calculators on my phone and was like, oh, temp correction? OK. Stupid me.

Same here. I typically keg and only bottle when I need to. Good thing these forums are around to fix my dumb mistakes :drunk:

I still think warming after cold crash will keep what yeast is still in suspension from continuing to drop out. Let us know how it goes. I think it'll work out better. And don't worry about clearing. It'll clear up more a couple days in the bottles if it needs to. Mine always do.

It's all bottled, and I'll be brewing the Muntons Nut Brown Ale this afternoon.

There was about 1/8 inch of pale dead yeast/sludge in the bottom of the fermentation bucket before transferring, and the remaining wort was about half clear, but still cloudy enough that I couldn't see down more than an inch or two through it. Bottling went just fine with no mishaps. Used the priming sugar in the wort rather than in each bottle. Put the bottles through the dishwasher with no detergent and on high heat, put the bottling bucket on the counter above the DW, pulled one bottle at a time out of the DW and when finished, set it in a plastic milk crate. Got three crates full right now starting to age/carbonate in my office at 69 F.

The wort smelled delicious, and tasted great. Very nice spicy, almost citrusy tang to the aroma. Beautiful red/amber color like Leinies Red. Going to be fun to sample it early next month.

Yeah, I'm kinda liking this so far. :D

Congrats on your first bottling day. A few short weeks from now you will be drinking your own beer!
Cheers.

You didn't use sanitizer in the bottles? I've always been skeptical that the dishwasher does that good of a job sanitizing...I mean, why else do they make vinators?

You didn't use sanitizer in the bottles? I've always been skeptical that the dishwasher does that good of a job sanitizing...I mean, why else do they make vinators?

There are a few guys on here who do the dishwasher thing as their sole sanitizing and haven't had any problems with it. Bottles upside down on the bottom rack so the spray/steam goes straight up into the bottles. High heat setting. Bottles were WAY too hot to touch when the DW was done.

Yep, there are those that bake the bottles in the oven, too.

Back