Fermented beer transfer pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcluever

Reaction score
I think with the volumes I'm going to start brewing, a transfer pump might really make things easier to transfer fermented beer into kegs. Currently I'm about to start retrofitting a rain barrel and either it has to be stored above keg level with a spigot that's a pain to keep clean, or I pump it out. A self priming pump means I can "siphon" it out and not worry about a spigot.

Morebeer has this http://morebeer.com/view_product/17305/103556/Self-Priming_Diaphragm_Pump_for_Beer_Transfers

9111.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this pump or able to recommend something similar?

If you have a pressurized vessel put co2 in the fermenter and push it out. No risk for O2 getting in your beer. No need for an expensive pump.

Somehow, "pressure" and "rain barrel" just don't seem to look right in the same sentence. I'm not interested in all the other ways to do this, just feedback on pumps. Thanks though; I wish I had an expensive conical instead of an expensive pump.

You might look at Harbor Freight, I bought a DC voltage pump something like that one for $45. It has a metal head, not sure everything is food grade but for a quick transfer I can't see that being an issue. I bought mine for a CIP system but it didn't have the head pressure to push the spray ball.

You might also try a weldless ball valve on your fermentor and a March pump. Then you'd have a more versatile pump.

Back