sweet stout with molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
I recently lost an old neighbor....bowlegged John died during the winter.

He had a basement full of fruits and veggies which he canned himself. His son wanted to get rid of all the stuff in his house, and SWMBO expressed an interest in the canning jars.

In the loot his son left at my house is an entire pint of molasses, and I'd like to make a sweet stout with this pint of molasses.

Any ideas on recipes which would use an entire pint of molasses in a stout, or am I completely out of my mind?

Looks like I'm really holding down the HBT Fort this morning. Good thing I started drinking early. You know, they say you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Anyway, for the Ben Franklin Tercentennial ale, most recipes called for the molasses making up less than 3% of the fermentables in order to appeal to the "modern palate". I've had that recipe and it was fantastic.

Though I love rum, I'm not a big fan of molasses. However, I wouldn't hesitate to go up to 5 or 8% of fermentables, especially in something as dark and thick as a stout.

Might I suggest doing an oatmeal stout? Or more specifically, an oatmeal cookie stout? Could be tasty... and could let you use more molasses without tasting strange..

Toot's sig said:
Primary: SWMBO's Messup Stout and Honey Hefeweizen
Secondary: the Dastardly Dry-Hopped Dunkelweizen
Bottle Conditioning: Maibock (with Beano)
Now Drinking: Orfy's Hob Goblin Clone, SOB Special Orange Bitter
Gone but not forgotten: Extra Screwed-up Bitter; EdWort's Apfelwein; NB's Scottish Ale
Up Next: Imperial Stout, Hefeweisen, Something Else, then a Scottish Ale, then a Barleywine. In that order for technical reasons

How ironic that a guy named Toot has a beer made with Beano....

Back