Grad School!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whelk

Reaction score
Sorry all, but I need to toot my own horn for a second. Just got my acceptance letter from Aberdeen University for an MLitt, and I am incredibly excited. No more will I have to suffer as an SAT prep tutor! :ban:

The funny thing is I'm not sure I want to go--I've got applications pending for UHI Orkney College, Sheffield University, and my first choice, Oxford University. Crossing my fingers. :D

Congratulations!!! That's way cool.

My advice: base your decision on what your 'project' will be on and who you will be working for. Contact the other students of who you will be considering and ask how he/she is to work for. I’m sure how that programs work for Mlitt, but you'll probably work directly under one professor with a committee. You don't want to move half way around the world/country to end up working for an %#@hole you hate, or is incompetent

Proofman said:
Congratulations!!! That's way cool.

My advice: base your decision on what your 'project' will be on and who you will be working for. Contact the other students of who you will be considering and ask how he/she is to work for. I’m sure how that programs work for Mlitt, but you'll probably work directly under one professor with a committee. You don't want to move half way around the world/country to end up working for an %#@hole you hate, or is incompetent

Thanks! That's actually a good suggestion, I'll contact them.

Find out who hires from that school. Typically, there are magazines which rate G-school's and list which employers recruit from which school. If you're looking to continue with our education up to PhD level, find out which PhD schools seem to favor your Master's school.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be going after a doctorate, but I want to take it one thing at a time. My top choice is Oxford, where happily they're awesome about hiring grad students to do almost everything. I'm definitely going to look into the other schools though, thanks for the advice guys. :mug:

Cool! Someone else looking to study in the UK. I had applications in at Edinburgh, St. Andrews, and Manchester. I'm 2/3 on acceptances right now (MSc in Computer Science) with one pending.

ayrton said:
Cool! Someone else looking to study in the UK. I had applications in at Edinburgh, St. Andrews, and Manchester. I'm 2/3 on acceptances right now (MSc in Computer Science) with one pending.

Hey, awesome--my girlfriend did a study abroad program at St Andrews, absolutely loved it. Great little town. And Edinburgh is my favorite city, aside from Oxford. Manchester I've never been to, but as for the others, awesome choices!

Back