Yeast Slap Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first batch and I got the slap pack of yeast. Right now it is in my fridge. How soon before I brew do I slap it? How long can I wait after slapping it? (And yes, I'm still talking about the yeast pack:cross:)

I think it says to give it at least three hours. I slapped mine right before I started sanitation and by time I was ready to pitch, the pack was completely inflated.

I'm not sure how long you can wait after slapping, but I'm fairly certain I've heard some people state they slap the night before.

Edit: has anyone ever had one of these things explode?

onipar said:
I think it says to give it at least three hours. I slapped mine right before I started sanitation and by time I was ready to pitch, the pack was completely inflated.

I'm not sure how long you can wait after slapping, but I'm fairly certain I've heard some people state they slap the night before.

If you're brewing tonight, slap it now, and put it somewhere warm, like outside or on top of the fridge, while you madh/steep...otherwise, smack it the night before and you're good

You can slap well in advance, such as the night before, to make sure that the yeast are viable before your brewday starts. I have never heard of them exploding. There is a limited amount of yeast nutrient in the pack, so it's not like they keep eating and growing and gassing off forever. :)

I've smacked them up to 2.5 days before brewing before (I always smack them at least 24 hrs before brewing) and I've never had one explode from swelling too much. I have smacked one too hard and had it explode though, so be careful.

I've smacked them up to 2.5 days before brewing before (I always smack them at least 24 hrs before brewing) and I've never had one explode from swelling too much. I have smacked one too hard and had it explode though, so be careful.

+1.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/warning-249579/

I usually smack right as I'm putting the pot on the stove. No need to go all Ike Turner on the packet though.

+1.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/warning-249579/

I usually smack right as I'm putting the pot on the stove. No need to go all Ike Turner on the packet though.

I kinda did. When nothing happened for a day or so I slapped it around a bit again. Then, like a classic abuser, I felt bad about it and tried to comfort it. Then I slapped it around again, felt bad, etc.

I'm not even making that up.

Nytimez:

Did you smack it and then tell it, "I'm only doing this for your own good" or "I hope you know this hurts me more than it hurts you." LOL!

Yeah, you know, I don't feel like 24 hours or more is really necessary as far as giving the yeast time to munch down, but it *is* helpful doing it far in advance to play it safe in case you don't actually break the nutrient packet when you first slap it, or you have sluggish yeast that for some reason don't swell up in the 3-4 hours they're supposed to.

It is pretty hard (at least it was for me) to locate the nutrient packet and to be able to tell if I actually broke it or not.

Good to know the thing won't burst from gas production. :ban:

I just make a starter out of them.

I do not have the heart to slap them silly then just sit by while they swell up from the abuse:cross:

Back