Quick Yeast Starter Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We are making 10 gallons of a larger beer (1.063 OG) and have two smack packs to use. We decided we want to make a starter.. Mr Malty calc said we needed about 2 liters per 5 gallons, so about a gallon of starter..

How big of an initial starter should I make in a gallon jug to feed both smack packs? Think I can get away with doing the whole gallon at once?

We brew in 4 days fwiw.

Thanks

In four days, you don't have time to step up twice, but you shouldn't need to anyway. I don't know your viability, but assuming you have 160 billion cells to start, you need a 3.6 L starter (shaking), or 2.3 L on a stirplate.

I wouldn't shoot for the whole gallon, you got 4 days, I would step it up, you could probably even step it up every 14-24 hours or so til you got to your gallon sized starter if that is your goal.

Thanks for the replies. I think I just am going to make two half gallon starters instead of one large one. More familiar to me.

Back