First batch question...carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFace_Brewing

Reaction score
So I just tried one bottle of my first batch. It was the Coopers Lager Kit that came with my Brewers Kit.

The beer has been in 22oz P.E.T bottles for 5 days now and each one has 2 of the carbonation drops that came with the kit. When I cracked one open to try it there was carbonation in the bottle but when I poured it there was very little head and it went away fast. I thought it was a dirty glass but then I tried it again and same result with a very clean sanitized glass. When you taste the beer and swish it in your mouth there is a good amount of carbonation, and the burping ensures there is some as well after drinking it.

Could it be because it has only been bottled for 5 days? The beer taste great so should I assume it will only be better after some more time and the carbonation will get better also?

Thanks for your help in advance!! :mug:

So I just tried one bottle of my first batch. It was the Coopers Lager Kit that came with my Brewers Kit.

The beer has been in 22oz P.E.T bottles for 5 days now and each one has 2 of the carbonation drops that came with the kit. When I cracked one open to try it there was carbonation in the bottle but when I poured it there was very little head and it went away fast. I thought it was a dirty glass but then I tried it again and same result with a very clean sanitized glass. When you taste the beer and swish it in your mouth there is a good amount of carbonation, and the burping ensures there is some as well after drinking it.

Could it be because it has only been bottled for 5 days? The beer taste great so should I assume it will only be better after some more time and the carbonation will get better also?

Thanks for your help in advance!! :mug:

It just needs more time. You'll get swamped with "21 day posts" asking this question :D

I wish I had a one bottle of 3-month old (or even older) home brew for every bottle I opened before I should have when I was first getting started :)

Should be a quick reminder before you start a new post that asks "Have you been patient? Really?"

I cracked open a beer after 1 week, then after 2 weeks just to see the difference. Most of the beer was gone between weeks 2 and 4. Didn't notice any difference in carbonation, but the taste was worlds apart. Now to have enough patience to leave my beer in bottles for 4+ weeks at a time.

Back