Sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecav

Reaction score
I keep hearing/reading how important sanitization is but I have not seen any list of proper steps to take in sanitizing brew equipment. I just made my first batch and all I used was the LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner that came in my equipment kit. Is that enough? I put warm water in the primary along with all brewing tools I would be using then added the no rinse cleaner. Mixed it all up, washed everything with a clean new sponge and let sit for 30 minutes then emptied the bucket out. Did I do enough or are there any important steps that I missed. The beer fermented properly and reached final gravity, I tasted it when we transferred to secondary and also when bottling and it came out fine. Did I sanitize properly or did I just get lucky that nothing infected my beer?

On Deck - Smokey Porter

LD Carlson isn't technically a food grade sanitizer, it just cleans away heavy buildup and debis. You will want to sanatize with something like StarSan, Iodophor, or even diluted bleach (be careful with bleach). One step is very similar to OxiClean and/or Powdered Brewery Wash. I wouldn't worry about your first beer as I'm sure it will be fine. If all the equipment was new and you were careful in your brewing practices it will turn out just fine! :) I would, however, get into the habit of using a cleaner and sanatizer on your equipment.

Well I am very new just did my first 5 galon batch yesterday but have used Mr. Beer some. I think what you did is great. We will see what other more experienced brewers say.

Roger

LD Carlson isn't technically a food grade sanitizer, it just cleans away heavy buildup and debis. You will want to sanatize with something like StarSan, Iodophor, or even diluted bleach (be careful with bleach). One step is very similar to OxiClean and/or Powdered Brewery Wash. I wouldn't worry about your first beer as I'm sure it will be fine. If all the equipment was new and you were careful in your brewing practices it will turn out just fine! :) I would, however, get into the habit of using a cleaner and sanatizer on your equipment.

Well I think it can be used as a sanitizer also. I was talking to Northern Brewers and that stated that Easy Clean LD Carlson can and is a good sanitizer to use.

Roger

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Here is a good read that will help answer questions about sanatizers. The LD Carlson site is very vague but the description and packaging leads me to believe that it's just another sodium percorbonate type solution, ala OxiClean, Powdered Brewery Wash, and Straight-A. The packaging says its a "No Rinse Cleanser" and says nothing about sanatizing.

Another big difference is contact time when sanatizing with StarSan or Iodophor compared to One Step or other such no rinse products. I think the biggest thing about StarSan and Iodophor is that they require very little contact time and can be reused numerous times. Not to mention that a little bit goes a long way.

I suppose in the end it all comes down to personal preference but I think you will see that many people around here prefer to go with the two step method, cleanser and then sanatizer.

But hey, I'm no Northern Brewer and my experience with LD Carlson products is very limited :)

I used LDs cleanser exclusively for a while, now I use Star-San. When I switched it was because I was getting some funky flavors in every batch I made. I changed a few things for better sterilization so I'm not positive that was the problem.

I used LDs cleanser exclusively for a while, now I use Star-San. When I switched it was because I was getting some funky flavors in every batch I made. I changed a few things for better sterilization so I'm not positive that was the problem.

If the flavors went away after you switched it could have very well been the cause. I am cautious about no rinse cleansers because they can still leave a residual film on glass and plastic. I always rinse with water after cleaning and then sterilize with StarSan. Remember, don't fear the foam! :)

a spray bottle filled with starsan comes in real handy also

+1000 to that. The great thing about star san is you can store it in a bucket with a lid and resuse over and over. I used bleach for a long time because it was what my first brewing book said to use.....once I switched to no rinse brewing was so much easier.

I use a very diluted mixture of vinegar and bleach. One needs to be careful when mixing these two, but the mixture I use calls for 1/2 teaspoon of EACH to a gallon of water. I keep some in a spray bottle and liberally spray it on all surfaces that will contact the wort. So far, it has worked well for me, and it's really inexpensive.

glenn514:mug:

a spray bottle filled with starsan comes in real handy also

:rockin:

Starsan is kinda expensive, until you realize how far it goes.

Bought a 1.99 spray bottle and use maybe 1 total bottle to clean equipment and such when brewing and then bottling. I go overboard with it and spray EVERYTHING.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will I need to rinse my equipment after using StarSan before it touches the beer?

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will I need to rinse my equipment after using StarSan before it touches the beer?

No rinse....that what makes it easy. I store mine in a bucket with a lid and get several uses out of it before having to remake a batch.

Its also helpfull to get a 98 cent spray bottle from walmart to use...

:mug:

brewed for the first time today.. I made up a 5 gallon batch of star-san and had it in my bottling bucket. i had my spoon, auto-siphon, etc in the bucket, I would use it and put back in the bucket.

it was 1oz star-san per 5 gallons of water. I had the 8oz container so I can get 8 brew session out of it.

I did fill a spray bottle with my solution,but didn't use it once. I just dipped everything into the bottle bucket and it worked fine.

-=Jason=-

thanks, is there a good way to tell when to dump and make a new starsan mixture?

Starsan and Iodophor are the best recognized food grade sanitizers: they're both the same in that you should mix the concentrations of bottle to water as it states in the directions. For both, they become denatured after a few hours: so you should make a new concentration for each batch. If you reserve some with a spray bottle, that's sealed and can be used batch after batch.

If you are going to reuse a Star San solution I would highly reccomend mixing with either RO or distilled water.

brewed for the first time today.. I made up a 5 gallon batch of star-san and had it in my bottling bucket. i had my spoon, auto-siphon, etc in the bucket, I would use it and put back in the bucket.

I have used about 2 ounces so far an have 8 batches bottled with one in the fermenter. Star San can go a long long way if you use a spray bottle.

I have used about 2 ounces so far an have 8 batches bottled with one in the fermenter. Star San can go a long long way if you use a spray bottle.

shoot, I just followed the directions a mixed 1oz star-san to 5 gallons of water. I did fill my spray bottle but never used the spray bottle at all. I just dipped every thing in the bucket.

are you saying I can just spray every thing instead of mixing up a big 5 gallon batch and if so what ratio of star-san per spray bottle?

-=jason=-

I usually use 1/4 oz Star San mixed with 1.25 gallons of water. It's plenty to wet and wipe everything down before I use it. The smaller bottles are even marked with 1/4oz and 1/2 oz pour lines.

:rockin:

Starsan is kinda expensive, until you realize how far it goes.

Bought a 1.99 spray bottle and use maybe 1 total bottle to clean equipment and such when brewing and then bottling. I go overboard with it and spray EVERYTHING.

$16 for a 32 ounce container of StarSan. You only really need to mix up 2.5 gallons at a time, so if you do it every time you brew, thats 25¢ per brewday. If you make it last for two brews, thats 12.5¢ per brew!

Disclaimer: I go to art school, don't trust my math.

I keep hearing/reading how important sanitization is but I have not seen any list of proper steps to take in sanitizing brew equipment. I just made my first batch and all I used was the LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner that came in my equipment kit. Is that enough? ...

Hmmmm ... that's the same stuff (LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner) that came with my kit from Midwest Supplies. There was no mention of needing an additional sanitizer with the kit instructions or on their Web site - only a brewpot, thermometer and bottles.

I just brewed my second batch using the LD Carlson. The first one came out fine and tastes good. Hope the next one turns out OK too! I'll have to find some StarSan now I guess.

are you saying I can just spray every thing instead of mixing up a big 5 gallon batch and if so what ratio of star-san per spray bottle?

-=jason=-

I mix a gallon at a time. About 1/5 per gallon so I fill the bottle to just under the 1/4oz line and mix right in the jug I buy the distilled water in. I fill my spray bottle from that. I use the spray bottle to spray down the inside of the bottles when bottling as well.

Hmmmm ... that's the same stuff (LD Carlson No Rinse Cleaner) that came with my kit from Midwest Supplies. There was no mention of needing an additional sanitizer with the kit instructions or on their Web site - only a brewpot, thermometer and bottles.

I just brewed my second batch using the LD Carlson. The first one came out fine and tastes good. Hope the next one turns out OK too! I'll have to find some StarSan now I guess.

I work with a guy who has been homebrewing for awhile. he told me he only uses the no-rinse cleanser and in 25 batches last year only one got infected. he is very thorough with cleaning immediately after using equipment so it sounds like if you stay on top of keeping your equipment clean (thoroughly immediately after use and again obviously before using again) it should be ok. this makes me feel better about the beer that i made with only the no-rinse cleanser

I use a very diluted mixture of vinegar and bleach. One needs to be careful when mixing these two, but the mixture I use calls for 1/2 teaspoon of EACH to a gallon of water. I keep some in a spray bottle and liberally spray it on all surfaces that will contact the wort. So far, it has worked well for me, and it's really inexpensive.

glenn514:mug:

I think it needs to be stressed that you NEVER directly combine bleach with vinegar. Always add them individually to the water. Also, sanitizing with bleach needs the vinegar to be effective. Lastly, don't use Clorox brand bleach, buy the cheapest bleach you can find as it works the best.

thanks, is there a good way to tell when to dump and make a new starsan mixture?

pH strips are the best method to tell when it's time to dump starsan.

For great info on sanitizers I strongly suggest listening to these Basic Brewing Radio podcasts. I listened to them the other day and learned a lot.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-22-07.mp3
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

Back