using juice in priming solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtonbaton

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any old threads where anyone has done this, although I'm sure it has to have been done. I wanted to add a "spicy fig" hint to my winter warmer but missed the boat on getting fresh figs. I found some fig juice and now I'm thinking I could use the juice to create a spice tea, and then use that tea rather than water for boiling the priming sugar. The juice has 28 grams of sugar per 8 oz. serving, so do I just count the grams in the juice toward my total and add slightly less sugar than I'm supposed to? Is there anything I'm not thinking about? I just want a hint of fig, but will I get any flavor? The juice is not concentrate, just juice, should I do a reduction first?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Wow. I am stumped on this one. I would certainly boil it for 10 minutes to sanitize it. Your idea of subtracting the total weight of sugar in there makes sense.

How about this - Take a proportional amount of beer to fig juice and play with it till it tastes OK. Say 50ml of beer and then 5 ml of juice. Taste, swish and see how it tastes and change the ratio till it tastes right. I am sure it will change in taste as it ferments again to carb the bottle but at least you will have some idea of how much it will impart.

Another thing too is what kind of sugar is in fig juice and is it readily fermentable by the yeast? I just don't know.

Let us know how it comes out!

Dean

I can tell you figs will ferment just fine. I made a fig wine last year that is bone dry. Why don't you take a hydro reading of the fig juice, and compare it to the info in the cider section. People prime with fresh cider.

On one of the Jamil's shows, he mentions that a guy he knows bottle primes with a couple raisins per bottle.

Back