beer soap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make soap- it's easy. If you can brew beer, soap is ridiculously easy.

The problem would be using alcohol in it- that would cause a separation and it would never saponify. I plan on using some hops in mine, though.

The problem would be using alcohol in it- that would cause a separation and it would never saponify. I plan on using some hops in mine, though.

Oh, thank you for that saponification comment. That really brought me back to last semester.

As far as soap, I have no idea. I do know that I would not want to go to work smelling like beer, though.

Years ago, when I had hair, I used a beer shampoo It was in a plastic bottle shaped like a beer bottle. Was supposed to have "oatmeal stout" in it, but I couldn't tell from the smell. More like a gimmick. But beer is supposed to be good for hair.

what's a simple recipe for a basic soap?
I figure steeping grains in the water that would be used could help
impart some beer characteristics. and hops of course.

Smelling like beer may not be great. But smelling like what my house smells like after I brew would be great...to me...

I can send you the instructions for simple soap from home, when I'm there. Please PM me to ask me to do that for you in a day or so. On the weekends, I am at my cottage, on dial up, and away from my home computer.

this is a pretty good website for learning how to do cold-process soap making, which is what i assume you would want to do if you were incorporating beer into it somehow.

http://www.teachsoap.com/easycpsoap.html

cold-process is kinda like all-grain in brewing. like yooper said, making soap is easy. just be careful with the sodium hydroxide (lye), it can cause caustic burns. i've had good success with the lye from the hardware store (just make sure it says somewhere on there 100% lye and doesn't have other drain cleaner crap in it).

I started making cold process soap before I learned how to make beer. Its one of the main reasons aluminum makes me nervous (Aluminum and Sodium Hydroxide do not mix!).

I personally wouldn't steep the grains, I would just throw them in whole and they could act like pumice (if it were me, I would crush/mash/make beer first). Because the sodium hydroxide is so basic, some fairly freaky things happen to some ingredients, so I would probably run a few normal batches first, so you know what to expect and what is not normal.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I don't think cold process and grain would mix...When blending the soap quite often a hand blender is used which would destroy the grain, even if the grain survived, there is the posibility it would soak up the lye mixture leaving little caustic nasties in the soap. Perhaps rebatching or 'milled' soap would be more appropriate. It would be interesting to see how the alpha acids in the hops reacted with the strong bases used in soap making, and whether that would cause further difficulties. Perhaps for this, it would be worth researching 'melt and pour' soaps.

There really are no shortage of posts on soap making forums about this, including recipes.

From what I've read (haven't tried it yet, still a noob with soap too) most people making beer soap leave the beer out to loose the carbonation.

Apparently there is no beer smell to the soap, but it makes a very creamy nice soap. I've washed my hair with beer before and it doesn't leave a beer smell either, you are after all washing your hair, it rinses out. .

Oh, thank you for that saponification comment. That really brought me back to last semester.

As far as soap, I have no idea. I do know that I would not want to go to work smelling like beer, though.[/QUOTE]

Ah, and maybe a deodorant that smells like whiskey. :D

...."It was beautiful, we were selling rich woman's fat asses back to them"...HAHAHAHAH My fav line of the movie!

But still i'm insterested in anything to do with beer.

got some glycerin in today. I'm going to do a normal 'White Tea Ginger' soap and an experimental Hop soap. I also got some Soy Wax flakes to make Hop candles. I'll keep this forum informed

Leave it up to DFH to beat you to it.

IMG_0191.jpg

Let us know how it comes out! I have all of my "stuff" for both lotions and soaps, and I'm going to be experimenting on my own. I am making all kinds of lotions because I actually read the label on my "Bath & Body Works" lotion. I can make it without all those unnatural ingredients, and add whatever I want for fragrance. I have some "hop extract" from freshops.com, and I thought I'd try that! Hopefully, my husband will find it attractive.

yeah i was thinking hop extract would be the best way to go but didn't know where to find it. thanks for the link

sorry if it's been mentioned before, but could you potentially steep the hops in thefuture soap water for a time period prior to adding the sodium hydroxide? that might be a good way to get some nice hop aroma into the soap. i have no idea how much you would use. a few ounces might be a good starting point.

this is sort of a bump but im thinking of trying this in a couple hours.

i plan on adding hop pellets to the water just before i add the lye so the hot water isomerizes some oils and then adding some more pellets at trace.

sounds pretty simple. I'm using an ounce for about a pound of soap.... is that too much?

So I was checking out a hop soap. This is copy pasta from someones auction:

This goat milk based soap produces a rich lather while moisturizing your hands. We've added a lot of ground up hops to the soap to produce a wonderful hop aroma. You will love the smell of your favorite variety of hops everytime you use this soap. We offer several different scents that are perfect for a homebrewer or anyone who loves beer. You'll come back for more because of how wonderful the soap works. The hops provide a little texture which is perfect for getting the grime off our hands after a busy day of brewing, working on the car, or any dirty activity. This soap doesn't just add a few hop pellets just to be a novelty item. This soap is filled with hops so every time you use it you get the scent of your favorite hop variety. If you love hops, you'll love this soap.

Ingredient List: Purified Water, Glycerin, Hops, Sodium Stearate, Sorbitol, Goat's Milk, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES), Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, Sodium Chloride

Maybe that will help...

Zamial, that is an interesting ingredient list, from the sounds of it that soap is a melt and pour type soap that uses embedded hops to add fragrance and texture. It sounds like Tinga is using cold process, which means that the hops will be added at the same time that the chemical process of converting the fats to soap will be going on, which is a little different. When that process hits high gear (which is called trace), quite often something completely unforseen can happen when using new ingredients. For example, anything containing even a hint of vanilla will turn your soap brown. A number of artificial frangrances will cause trace progress too rapidly, leaving you with cottage cheese, or a solid chunk of soap stuck to the bottom of the pot.

Whether it works or not can be kind of a craps shoot sometimes, but it is great to see some real pioneering going on here on HBT!

well i made the soap last night.

i added an ounce to the lye water mixture so that the pellets could become the usual sludge and be distributed throughout the whole soap. i think it slowed the process up quite a bit because i was using my electric mixer for about an hour and i didnt get it as far as i would have liked.

the color is olive green as to be suspected fragrance is as great as i would have liked but still not terrible. i used a basic soap recipe of 80% olive oil and 20% coconut oil as it was pretty much all i had. however much lye and water it takes according to a lye calculator. i think 2.7 oz of lye and 6.6 oz of water. then one ounce of cascade hops.

if i were to do it again i would add a half oz of hops to the lye water mix and then an oz and a half powdered hops at trace. so more hops and grind them up before i add them.

im interested to see if the isomerized alpha acids help or if i should just add all the hops at trace.

It is interesting to hear that the hops slowed down the trace, I would be a little worried about adding them right at trace, as I have seen a soap that started to trace re-liquify when a fragrance was added. That one never ended up quite right, and I ended up with DOS (the Dreaded Orange Spots for those who aren't soap makers). I think that I might contemplate "re-batching" in order to incorporate hops, I have had reasonably good luck when using milk to mill soap.

I really look forward to hearing how that soap turns out, good for you for giving it a try. :)

Midwest supplies was selling hop soap last time I was in there around the holidays, looked interesting I might have to try this

Midwest supplies was selling hop soap last time I was in there around the holidays, looked interesting I might have to try this

yeah i was there last weekend. pretty much where i got the idea.

Latest posts

Back