Is this cooler suitable for 10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
After just about a year of extract brewing, I'm finally looking into getting serious with all grain.

I'm looking at getting the round rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091235

I've also been looking at the 60 QT Coleman Xtreme cooler. The big draw of the rubbermaid is I'd like to purchase a good false bottom for it instead of constructing a manifold.

Does the rubbermaid have enough capacity to make 10 gallon batches?

After just about a year of extract brewing, I'm finally looking into getting serious with all grain.

I'm looking at getting the round rubbermaid 10 gallon cooler:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091235

I've also been looking at the 60 QT Coleman Xtreme cooler. The big draw of the rubbermaid is I'd like to purchase a good false bottom for it instead of constructing a manifold.

Does the rubbermaid have enough capacity to make 10 gallon batches?

there's a table out there that i'm sure will surface in this thread.

I have that same exact cooler and I will say, if you make beers over 1.060, it is not enough.

I tried to make an imperial stout at about 1.110 on it, and I ran out of space, and it was a 5 gallon batch.

the table is nice and has efficiencies and gravities. if no one brings it up I'll take a look.

back to work!

I have that cooler, and I can make a 10 gallon batch of up to 1.066 or so before it maxes out. It holds just about 25 pounds of grain and mash water, right to the tippy top!

Hmm thanks for the input. I might have to go with the 15 gallon then. 10 gallons with a false bottom would have been a sweet setup :(

I have a small problem on my Coleman Extreme in that the spigot is at a diagonal pointing towards the ground, and when I put the hose barb/ball valve on it it hits the floor and won't sit flat. Keep that in mind if you're looking at that particular one.

Back