Late extract additions/boil time..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
I have been brewing mini mash recipes, however it is very cold in WI and I do my boils outside in a turkey fryer. These are full boils, and I like to add the majority of the extract at the end of the boil, however, when I remove my kettle from the burner and add the remaining extract to prevent burning, it takes a good 10 minutes to get it back up to a boil. How does this play with my hop additions? Do I add on schedule, or do I wait for the boil to resume? Thanks!

when I used extracts (for 13 years) I tried both ways. I ended up just going with the regular schedule. your late addition hops are for aroma & flavor anyhow. the boil & hop additions coincide primarily for bittering at beginning of boil.

when I used extracts (for 13 years) I tried both ways. I ended up just going with the regular schedule. your late addition hops are for aroma & flavor anyhow. the boil & hop additions coincide primarily for bittering at beginning of boil.

Thanks Billy. 13 years of extracts, I will consider this a solid answer! (Thats 10 more minutes of propane I can save as well) :mug:

Thanks Billy. 13 years of extracts, I will consider this a solid answer! (Thats 10 more minutes of propane I can save as well) :mug:

I finally started AG last year. I'd recommend the switch if you feel ready. and there are a lot of great brewers that have been teaching me over the years, though I may not have told them. damn boards are so impersonal.:mug:

Why not add the extract at flame out? Then you don't have to wait to bring it up to a boil, you don't mess up your hops additions, and it means no chance to scorch the wort. It might even make the wort chilling go faster, but it will still be plenty hot enough to pasteurize the extract.

Why not add the extract at flame out? Then you don't have to wait to bring it up to a boil, you don't mess up your hops additions, and it means no chance to scorch the wort. It might even make the wort chilling go faster, but it will still be plenty hot enough to pasteurize the extract.

I have read conflicting posts about when to add the extract, so I guess i just figured I would be safe and add at 45 min. I did see a few posts (by you I do believe) about adding at flameout. I will give that a try next weekend. It makes way more sense as long as it is pasteurized. Thanks Yooper

that is exactly what I'm talking about. still learning.

a noob ?, If you were using a wort chiller (placed it into the brew pot with 15 min. left in the boil), would you take it out and place it on a sanitized surface(the pot lid) while you mixed in the extract at flame out or just leave the chiller out of the pot and spray the wort chiller with star san and put it in after thee dme/lme is mixed in?
cheers,
1st brew slated for next week
ed

Just curious, have you done this before?

And are you talking about all the extract? I've done a number of late additions but never with 100% of the extract. For some reason just boiling water and hops for 60 minutes doesn't seem right. You wouldn't get that beautiful smell of boiling wort.

I can't remember if it effects hop utilization or not. I remember reading a ton of posts on the subject about a year ago and I forget where it all landed.

Something else to keep in mind, if you are going to do a majority of the extract as late additions just be sure to calculate how much volume it will add because you won't have time to burn off any excess. I wish I knew the calculation but maybe someone else knows.

a noob ?, If you were using a wort chiller (placed it into the brew pot with 15 min. left in the boil), would you take it out and place it on a sanitized surface(the pot lid) while you mixed in the extract at flame out or just leave the chiller out of the pot and spray the wort chiller with star san and put it in after thee dme/lme is mixed in?
cheers,
1st brew slated for next week
ed

You don't need to take the chiller out. Just stir the extract in with a whisk in the middle, and then swirl the chiller around after that, to mix it up. I am not explaining it well, but if you try it you'll see what I mean!

Just curious, have you done this before?

And are you talking about all the extract? I've done a number of late additions but never with 100% of the extract. For some reason just boiling water and hops for 60 minutes doesn't seem right. You wouldn't get that beautiful smell of boiling wort.

I can't remember if it effects hop utilization or not. I remember reading a ton of posts on the subject about a year ago and I forget where it all landed.

Something else to keep in mind, if you are going to do a majority of the extract as late additions just be sure to calculate how much volume it will add because you won't have time to burn off any excess. I wish I knew the calculation but maybe someone else knows.

I"ve done it, more than a dozen times, but never with all the extract at flame out.

I've used about 1 pound of extract per gallon of water in the boil, and then the bulk of extract at flame out. This works out great, and reduces maillard reactions and makes an extract beer without a "cooked extract" taste.

In recipes where I"ve had, say 2 pounds DME and 3 pounds LME, I would add the DME at the beginning and the LME at the end.

As far as volume, I'm pretty good with spatial relationships and I can look at a container of LME and visualize how much room it will take up in the pot so it's never been a problem at all. I have markings on my pot (with nail polish, so it's not exactly pretty!) so I can see where the volume markings are.

I rarely brew on the stovetop anymore, but I did back in October to show a friend how to brew.

Ok that makes more sense. That's kind of what I've done as well. I'll sometimes add part of the extract at the beginning and part at the end. But I'm definitely not as good with spatial relationships so I've had trouble getting precisely the amount of finished wort. I try to error on the side of less wort b/c then I can at least top off with water.

Back