Diacetyl Rest Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeg

Reaction score
My latest batch, a Bock, has reached the 75-80% fermented point, so it's time to go to the D-rest. The sample showed fairly strong diacetyl, so it definitely needs it.

This is annoying. The fermentation freezer, at about 10°C, was just perfect for keeping all my malty cold weather beers at the perfect serving temperature. I'd only just had that realization when it's time to bump it way up. Curses! I thought I was clever for filling up all the freezer dead space with bottles....

Just let it rest at room temp. Warming up the yeast quickly won't bother them.

i do this too, and it comes out fine; the yeast finish their job. it's my only option since i'm not going to warm my kegerator! with the big thermal mass it's going to take a while to warm up anyways. i move from temp control to somewhere cool (unheated stairwell) for a day, to somewhere warm.

I would, but I don't have anywhere else to put it that is safe from cats and kids. The space at the bottom of the coat closet is full of cases of bottled beer, and the only other closet with any free space is housing a fermentor full of mead.

I also don't like lifting 6 gallons of beer out of a chest freezer any more often than I have to. But I certainly appreciate the suggestion.

ah- mine's always fermenting in a corny, my temp control is a separate unit, the kegerator is a front loader, and my cat doesn't drink!
good luck

Back