Nasty Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buchababe90

Reaction score
I had my family taste my first kombucha brew and none of them liked it. I tried it before them and noticed that it was both too strong and too sweet. I used a pungent brand of black tea (PG Tips) along with the recommended amount of sugar. Do you prefer the taste of kombucha made with green or black tea?

I had my family taste my first kombucha brew and none of them liked it. I tried it before them and noticed that it was both too strong and too sweet. I used a pungent brand of black tea (PG Tips) along with the recommended amount of sugar. Do you prefer the taste of kombucha made with green or black tea?

I personally prefer a blend of teas. I use Rooibos Red,Gunpowder green,Yerba Mate, and Iced tea blend(Black and Orange pekoe blend) all in my Kombucha. Many prefer all green tea and say it has a milder flavor.

If its too strong try mixing it with fruit juice, 4 oz Kombucha and 12oz Juice, most people prefer it this way or so i have read.

I like both but I've found green teas to produce a smoother, more mellow flavor that more people find palatable. Try an organic Kukicha green tea, comes out great and seems to produce healthier/thicker scoby's and better carbonation in my experience.

How long does this take from pitch to glass?how can wines vary so much?

Kombucha is normally done in 7-10 days for a easily drinkable product, but can be left go for 30+ days for a product more like Vinegar. The longer it is brewed the more sour it becomes.

It isn't a wine or beer, when done properly there is next to no alcohol in the finished drink because it is converted into organic acids by the bacteria portion of the Scoby.

My next brew was gross too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I fermented it for 10 days and a super healthy looking baby developed. Unfortunately, the batch is undrinkable. It is too vinegary and full of sediment. I prepared another brew two days ago with half green and half black tea. I hope it turns out okay. The SCOBY in one of the jars sunk and its thinner than the other one.

My next brew was gross too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I fermented it for 10 days and a super healthy looking baby developed. Unfortunately, the batch is undrinkable. It is too vinegary and full of sediment. I prepared another brew two days ago with half green and half black tea. I hope it turns out okay. The SCOBY in one of the jars sunk and its thinner than the other one.

Try this, use 1 and 1/2 cup sugar and green tea only, and bottle after 5 days. The sediment is normal and very good for you, btw it is going to have SOME form of vinegar like flavor.

I reduced the fermentation time to 7 days and that seemed to help a lot. Then I bottled the kombucha for the secondary fermentation. I made 2 with ginger and 2 with pineapple juice. The ginger ones turned out great, but the pineapple was gross for some reason and caused a MASSIVE explosion when I opened the bottles!

I don't like any black tea at all in mine, or at least very very little. The tannin bite really comes forward in the finished tea. I like green tea, not brewed too strong, honey, and ginger

I don't like any black tea at all in mine, or at least very very little. The tannin bite really comes forward in the finished tea. I like green tea, not brewed too strong, honey, and ginger

Sounds good, but I've had a problem with mold growing when I use green tea.

Sounds good, but I've had a problem with mold growing when I use green tea.

I'm no expert, but from my understanding it's the acidity level that should keep the mold away, not so much the type of tea you use. The only time I've EVER had mold take hold was not using enough starter kombucha (ie; not enough acidity). I was trying to push a newly rehydrated scoby into producing more kombucha faster, so I only used about 10% from the last batch, and mold formed. Ever since then I've used 25% of my last batch for the new and have not seen mold since.
You could be right and maybe black tea is more resistant to mold, but if you use enough starter tea (20-25% has worked for me for 50+ generations) your ph should be low enough to prevent mold growth no matter what color tea you use.

Back