Brewpub Legality Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
Can a restaurant brew beer, after getting all the licensing, without using a system? In other words, using the methods that homebrewers use with pots, utensils, fermentation vessels, etc...

They have in Texas. I question it though, because of the cost of licensing, etc., you need to brew a certain volume in order to make a profit since several thousand dollars goes to the feds & state.

Yeah, in Arizona I believe the minimum volume for a brewpup license is 5000 gallons/year. That's kinda hard to do 5-10 gallons at a time regardless of license costs...

I would love to walk into a gastropub that also has an awsome beer list and see a spot on there that says something like "in-house brewed specialties" or something like that. There's lots of great restaurants and gastropubs here in Atlanta that have great beer lists, but I always feel they are missing something. And I also don't like most of the brewpubs because they come in with 7-10bbl systems and their food is not the best. I am talking about being able to combine the best of both worlds (food and beer), but not have to break your back brewing all the time. Maybe you would be once a week or once every other week with some really cool brews. Just thinking here, that's all.

I've been to a brewpub that did 10 gallon batches. The beer was horrible (obviously rushed to the taps), and I watched almost every other patron order the commercial beers they had on tap.

I've been to a brewpub that did 10 gallon batches. The beer was horrible (obviously rushed to the taps), and I watched almost every other patron order the commercial beers they had on tap.

Wow, that sucks. I am talking about making it (not really a fan of this word, long story) artisinal or artisan. It's ready when it's ready. If you can't wait, there are other beers available.

Just found this.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/alcohol/ATD_BREWPUB_LICENSE_PERFORMANCE_AND_TAX_LIABILITY_BOND_ATT66.pdf

I hate lawyer speak (no offense to anyone who is a laywer, but come on!!). Am I to believe that the license fee is $20,000?! Can someone translate?

It's a surety bond. You don't have to put up $20,000 but you have to put up a $20,000 surety bond. It's like insurance that you will comply with the laws, obtain proper permits, pay your taxes, etc. You have to put up a certain amount of cash or periodic payments to an insurance company who provides the bond.

Back