WLP300 in my hefe never really took off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlin

Reaction score
I brewed an all extract bavarian hefe on Monday afternoon. Had made a starter (about 1700ml) using WLP300. Had it in the flask for a bit more than 24 hrs, then I put it in the fridge for a couple nights as I wasn't going to get to brew on Sat or Sun as I had hoped. Took it out a few hours ahead of pitching, decanted, and let it sit at room temp.

Did my first full boil, new pot, chiller, etc. Briess wheat DME and Muntons wheat LME. Everything in the boil went smoothly. All the LME was late addition. Chilled, whirlpooled, siphoned to the fermenting bucket. Had the wort pouring against the side of the bucket so as to spread wide and thin and get as much surface area open to the air as possible. Got it into the mid/low 60s, pitched the starter, shook it up, and set it in a larger bucket with a water bath to help keep the temp in the low-mid 60s. On the Jamil Show on this style, Jamil stressed a big improvement in the clove and banana by fermenting at 62°. Mine is around 63 and has been since Monday night.

I set the bucket up with a blow-off tube into a large plastic jug containing a sanitizer solution. By Tues morning I heard it bubbling slowly (once every 12 secs or so). when I got home from work Tu evening, it was more like every 5 seconds, holding at 63°. Great!

Wed night I get home from work and it's slowed back to the once every 10-12 seconds, and TH morning it was 15 sec between burps.

From all I've read, Hefe's tend to give a pretty intense ferment, no? I was expecting a lot more activity, even if only for 2-3 days.

I have not opened the bucket to take a gravity reading yet (OG was 1.052). Is that the next step? I'm concerned something ain't right, that perhaps my starter wasn't all that great (being the first starter I've made, I really don't know, but it appeared that I have increased my yeast amount when I chilled it and saw what had accumulated at the bottom). Picking up another vile of WLP300 isn't going to be easy during the weekdays given where I'd have to go to find it.

Is fermenting at the lower temp going to make for a less volatile fermentation simply needing more time in the bucket?

There's tons of factors for why you didn't see a intense fermentation, none of them are reasons to worry. Stick to your normal schedule, everything is probably fine.

It sounds like you did everything right. I do my hefs at about 63 and that temp is fine. WLP300 does frequently get a hefty ferment going for a couple days, but like warped said there can be many factors involved.

On your starter, did you see evidence that you definitely grew the yeast colony? Things like a small krausen, or a very milky solution, or a large volume of yeast on the bottom when you decanted.

Also what was the original gravity of your hef? If you used a stir plate, then 1700ml is a pretty hefty starter for standard gravitiy hefs. I find 1000ml is usually plenty for a hef in the 1.050 to 1.055 range. Sometimes if you pitch heavy fermentation can go quickly.

It sounds like you did everything right. I do my hefs at about 63 and that temp is fine. WLP300 does frequently get a hefty ferment going for a couple days, but like warped said there can be many factors involved.

On your starter, did you see evidence that you definitely grew the yeast colony? Things like a small krausen, or a very milky solution, or a large volume of yeast on the bottom when you decanted.

Also what was the original gravity of your hef? If you used a stir plate, then 1700ml is a pretty hefty starter for standard gravitiy hefs. I find 1000ml is usually plenty for a hef in the 1.050 to 1.055 range. Sometimes if you pitch heavy fermentation can go quickly.

I honestly don't think I got a lot of additional yeast growth from the starter. Some, but again, first time making one, so I'm not positive. My OG was 1.052. Oh no stir plate.. just random swirling of the flask

Someone on another forum suggested it may be hanging out at the top and perhaps I should give it a gently swirl... anything to that theory? I've only brewed with Safale 05 dry yeast up until this batch.

Even with intermittent shaking that starter was a bit larger than you needed. It won't do any real harm though so don't sweat it.

WLP300 is a top fermenting yeast, but you should not need to swirl it to get it going. It gets going just fine on it's own.

Since your pitch was a bit on the heavy side, and it has been a few days, I would go ahead and take a gravity sample. I bet your going to find it is almost done. Even if it is down to your anticipated FG, give it at least another 4 or 5 days for the yeast to clean up after itself. Hefs are best when they are young and I usually have them in the primary for 10-14 days and then into the keg.

Did you shake/oxygenate enough when you pitched? I splash my wort from the kettle to the carboy and use an oxygen stone for about a minute right after I pitch. I did not make a starter for this batch of WLP300 because I heard not to overpitch on hefes, and it was the most voltile fermentation I ever had...

2011-03-31_00-08-33_899.jpg

I just recently did a basic Hefe using WLP-300 and fermented at around 68, no starter. S.G was 1.050, Fermented in the closet of main floor, we usually keep the house between 66 and 69 at all times. Let me tell you how aggresive this yeast was... blew the lid off twice and it was the most intense fermenting I have ever witnessed, it must have been spewing through the air lock before it blew because the walls were covered with dried up yeast.
The fermenting was vigorous to say the least for 2-3 days and then suddenly it was dead, not even a bubble - took a reading it was 1.028 and no action visible but a heavy Krause on top. I left it for another 10 days, the Krause settled and my reading was 1.010 and I was relieved. I waited another few days, the reading was the same so I proceeded to bottle.
Long story short, it turned out amazing so just leave it for another 10-14 days and you'll be fine.

I didn't aerate really. I typically have only used pouring from the pot to the bucket to produce a lot of splashing in the past. This time, being the first full boil, I siphoned. Forgot to give it a big shake or splash until after I pitched. I picked it up tonight and gave it a good swirl. it's now bubbling every 8 second, when it was about every 20 second before I swirled it tonight. So I don't know. Will let it go. If it slows again, I may give it another swirl. Might take a reading this weekend (about 5-6 days in) and see where it stands.. or just let it sit and go a good 10 days and see.

day 7: just took a gravity reading... only down to 1.020. Smells AWESOME. Just that banana and clove I was hoping for, but not done by any means. So I covered it back up and gave it a good swirl. Had been a few days since the last swirl. I just hope the yeast will kick into gear again enough to finish it up. I suppose I could pick up another vial of WLP300, but I'd rather not if I don't have to (the LHBS is distance and hard for me to get to during the week). I do have some fermentis WB06 (or whatever their wheat beer dry yeast is) which I could toss in I supposed, but I guess I will wait to see if it does any more work now that I've swirled it up again. The krausen was high and bubbly when I just opened the top to take the reading.

day 7: just took a gravity reading... only down to 1.020. Smells AWESOME. Just that banana and clove I was hoping for, but not done by any means. So I covered it back up and gave it a good swirl. Had been a few days since the last swirl. I just hope the yeast will kick into gear again enough to finish it up. I suppose I could pick up another vial of WLP300, but I'd rather not if I don't have to (the LHBS is distance and hard for me to get to during the week). I do have some fermentis WB06 (or whatever their wheat beer dry yeast is) which I could toss in I supposed, but I guess I will wait to see if it does any more work now that I've swirled it up again. The krausen was high and bubbly when I just opened the top to take the reading.

Dude...It is still fermenting. Don't go talking about adding yeast to it. Every beer is different, and every brew session is different. Just be patient and let it go...Only add more yeasties if you have multiple gravity readings of the same gravity over a decent period of time. If you are taking gravity readings and there is a krausen.....just be patient...Just because you aren't haven't a "violent" fermentation, doesn't mean things aren't happening correctly.

Took another reading last night (dady 10) and it's down to 1.016. Not as low as I had hoped. All the krausen had fallen, too. It got really warm here yesterday, and the bucket had moved up to around 70-71, compared to the 63-64 range it had been in most of the time. No idea if that would help it finish up, or if the yeasties are done. Gave the bucket one more swirl and added some ice to the water bath the bucket it sitting in. Will give it a couple more days and take another reading to see if it's still working or not.

Bottled the hefe after 20 days in the bucket. Stuck on 1.016. :(

Moved 5 gal from the fermenter to bottling bucket, adding in the corn sugar solution, and got 24 12oz bottles plus a bomber filled. Used about 4.75 oz of the sugar. Hoping these carb up ok. Storing them in a fridge (not running) at ambient temp (big room over garage, mid-to-upper 60s most of the time. Lots of banana in this batch for sure. Hopefully it carbs/conditions nicely so I can share with friends, as I don't know if I can drink 2-cases of hefe quick enough to finish while it's "fresh."

I have used this yeast several times in the past. For me, it sometimes does not even look like its fermenting. The last time I used it, I thought that it was a dead batch of yeast there was so little air-lock activity. However, every time the yeast has proved itself and I've reached the intended FG. The hefeweizens always taste great, peaking at like 4 weeks and the peak last till the 3rd or 4th month. I usually ferment at around 65-70F with the carboys on my kitchen floor.

HHB,
I shot for the JZ suggested 62, but it pretty much was around 63-64° most of the first two weeks. Got a little warmer in the 3rd week. I noticed big slow downs in the bubbling via the blowoff, so a few tiems I picked up the bucket and gave it a swirl, which seemed to pick up the fermentation a bit (at least the first couple times). Seemed like the yeast settled too quickly and needed to be swirled back into suspension. After 3 weeks in the bucket, and at the same gravity reading for the last week, I gave up waiting and bottled. Hopefully it will taste decent.

I just got back from vaca. Pulled the bottles from their conditioning location 3 weeks and a couple days. Put them in the basement, but pulled one 6 and put those in the fridge. Popped a few yesterday. A good "poof" when I popped the cap, but not a ton of head. If I splashed it when I poured I got more of a head, but it doesn't last long. Color is nice, perhaps a tad darker than commercial hefes (not surprising as it's all extract). Tasted lots of banana. Pretty similar to the import hefes I've tried recently. Hoping a little more time might give a bit better head, but what I got yesterday may be what it's going to be regardless of time. Certainly good enough to share, so I'm happy with that.

Over half the bottles are gone, several thanks to local friends. Everyone seemed to like it. Several of my eife's girlfriends really enjoyed them. A bit sweeter than I wanted (FG was1.016) but still tasty, especially in the warmer /June temps

You are just too cold for that yeast. Temp should be 78 to 72 F according to WLP web site. I have used the yeast at temps from 60 to 70 F. If you use it at 68 F+ the fermentation takes off like a rocket. I have one in primary now at about 65 F. It took about 12 hours to start went to about 100 blow off tube bubbles per minute in 48 hours and pretty much stopped all visible activity. I will check this weekend to move to secondary. If you have not used the yeast before it has a very strong banana presence.

You are just too cold for that yeast. Temp should be 78 to 72 F according to WLP web site. I have used the yeast at temps from 60 to 70 F. If you use it at 68 F+ the fermentation takes off like a rocket. I have one in primary now at about 65 F. It took about 12 hours to start went to about 100 blow off tube bubbles per minute in 48 hours and pretty much stopped all visible activity. I will check this weekend to move to secondary. If you have not used the yeast before it has a very strong banana presence.

Yes, lots-o-banana for sure. I went with the low temp (63°) following Jamil Z's instructions for bavarian hefe with that particular yeast after he described not getting the right balance of clove and banana at higher temps. Next time I would likely try it a few degrees higher to see what difference it makes in the fermentation and taste, although I am hoping to move to all grain soon, so it would likely not be a fair comparison given this batch was all extract.

Badhabit hit this one on the head. Hefe's need to ferment a bit warmer than the temp you were locked in on. I have one fermenting now that I brewed on Friday and the airlock is still bubbling away. I tried to stabilize the temp of the swamp cooler at 65-66. This should produce a nice balanced blend of clove and bananna. Never had a brew yet that had the airlock burping a week after brewing.

I would not go throught the hassle of racking to a secondary with a Hefe. I would leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle or keg.

I have yet to rack anything to a secondary. Granted, I've only done some fairly basic brews thusfar (APAs, an amber, and the hefe). None of these were all that high in gravity. Intending to do my last extract brew this weekend (based on Stone IPA). Just need to get my cooler converted and then I'm on to AG and batch sparging.

Latest posts

Back