Alternative methods to bottles and kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Shipping costs and space in my house ar big factors for me here on Hawaii. I've been told about something like a party pig. Basically some of a 2 gallon device that you can keep in your fridge and carbonate with co2. I figured this would be nice so I'd only have to bottle 3 gallons. Anyone know of something like this?

I looked at party pigs. They use some kind of inflatable pouch inside to pressurize and dispense the beer. The pouches are kind of expensive.

If you don't drink much and are not worried about the expense they look okay.

bottles don't really take up that much room. depending on how much you brew, you could have 2-4 sets of bottles (100-200 bottles), which you can cram into boxes well when not in use. you can just rotate the bottles between batches. you don't need all of them in the fridge at once, just cool down a 6/12 pack a night or two before drinking.

I opt for my belly to store my beer.

But yes, your best bet might be to collect bottles after you (or friends) drink the beer inside. Just make sure they are NOT twist offs! I know Ive been saving my empties (holidays are coming round and I know what Im giving this year!)
-Me

To use this Party Pig, you dump uncarbed beer in it and it'll carb the beer and push it out? I see it uses that pressurized bag to get the beer out of the keg, but what carbonates the beer?

During the summer months when I'm more likely traveling around visiting friends on weekends, and generally drink a lot of beer, I'll use 1 gallon pesticide/fertalizer spayer. It comes with a handy "picnic" dispenser, fit easily in a medium sizes cooler full of ice, and has a built in pump, and the plastic is beer friendly (white HDPE). The downsides: sanitizing is a bit harder due to the pump, and the beer stales pretty fast (2-3 days) once you have to pump the keg. But, I find it pretty easy to drink a gallon of beer in a weekend, especially with some friends around.

If I could find a way to pressurize with some CO2, I'de be a happy (and cheap) camper!

party_keg.jpg

During the summer months when I'm more likely traveling around visiting friends on weekends, and generally drink a lot of beer, I'll use 1 gallon pesticide/fertalizer spayer. It comes with a handy "picnic" dispenser, fit easily in a medium sizes cooler full of ice, and has a built in pump, and the plastic is beer friendly (white HDPE). The downsides: sanitizing is a bit harder due to the pump, and the beer stales pretty fast (2-3 days) once you have to pump the keg. But, I find it pretty easy to drink a gallon of beer in a weekend, especially with some friends around.

If I could find a way to pressurize with some CO2, I'de be a happy (and cheap) camper!

party_keg.jpg

This is hilarious!!! I could just imagine you walking around with a pesticide container pumping and filling up a beer mug or just sticking the nozzle in your mouth. I would love to see the look on other peoples faces when they see you do this. Great ingenuity though.

Yeah I use 3 gallon ones made for pressurizing and filtering wine.
I added a ball valve on the outby end, with a quick disconnect that fits up to the dispensing hose.
Me and my buddies can easily put away 3 gallons in two days. ...and if you bottle and carbonate straight to the "Keg" the first 1/3 is powered by the CO2...

Garden Sprayer Keg.JPG

Back