Show us your control panel!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is still a work in progress. So far it is only running my BK. It had its maiden voyage last weekend. Hope to tweak it with a HLT element this coming weekend.

Best_of_brewing-10.jpg

Best_of_brewing-9.jpg

I love the idea of a tool box control panel for 3 reasons:

They're reasonably cheap
They're tough
They're portable

Neat idea and nice work!
What software did you use to draw up the schematic?

Kal

Thanks Kal-

The toolbox is $30. Very cheap. I used Microsoft paint for the schematics. I get the component images from google image search, then connect everything together with lines. Not the most time efficient, but I generally know what I want so I don't have to change things around.

Also, I am finally building a DITCHES brewery. I will post that control box once it is done.

Hey Kal, is there a way to turn the PID alarms on and off without external switches?
Also, has anybody found an affordable temperature display. I'd like to have a temp display for my mash tun, and not another PID.

Hey Kal, is there a way to turn the PID alarms on and off without external switches?
Yes, you can change the settings in the PID to change the alarm condition. Not quite as quick/convenient since 99% of the time the alarm is there to tell you that you need to "do something" so the last thing you want to do first is hit a dozen or so buttons in the PID to reprogram what causes an alarm. Normally I just switch off the alarm with one flick, and then do whatever needs to be done. The switches are only a few dollars each and (IMHO) are worth it to make the process easier.

Kal

Thanks Kal!
I'm still in the learning stages of my build. I brew in my one car garage, where space is limited, so I built a stand that could be rolled under my work bench. Now for the panel, I'm thinking I might do something about 6 inches wide down the side of my stand. Kind of like the Sabco panel. If I go that way I will have limited panel space, so I've been thinking about a 1/16 PID for the HLT, 1/32 DIN temp display for the Mash, and a PWM knob for the BK. Then 2 pump switches, a stir motor switch, a master switch, and a buzzer alarm.

Like I said, I'm still in the learning stages, but I've learned a lot thanks to HBT and TheElectricBrewery.com.
This is what I've done so far.

IMG_20110611_194524.jpg

IMG_20110613_163043.jpg

OK, I will toss in a pic as well. The screenshot of the display is on my development pc and not connected to any hardware, so that is the reason for the screwy readings.

20110616_screenshot.jpg

2011-03-26_10-25-21_562.jpg

2011-03-26_10-27-35_924.jpg

That has to be about the best designed and constructed control panel I have seen here in a long time, it looks like it came from a professional panel shop .
It is nice to see someone design and build a control panel that is not an illustration of code violations and bad practices like some of the ones offered for sale that I have seen.

That has to be about the best designed and constructed control panel I have seen here in a long time, it looks like it came from a professional panel shop .
It is nice to see someone design and build a control panel that is not an illustration of code violations and bad practices like some of the ones offered for sale that I have seen.

hehehe Thanks. :mug:
I am an electrical engineer, but spent several years cutting my teeth wiring machines and panels for automation.

Here's my recently finished prototype control panel built mostly from parts I had laying around. There are a lot of upgrades I want to make for the final panel (twist lock receps, center off switches, larger enclosure, etc.), but this is what time and money currently allow, and using this should help me to refine the final design. The controllers are similar to the ones in the e-bay aquarium temp controller thread, but single stage, fahrenheit display, and SS temp probe (and cheaper). It's not nearly as well constructed or fancy as most of the ones I see here, but I think it's a nice addition to my ghetto HERMS, and it only cost me ~$45 out of pocket.

Tucson-20110620-00085.jpg

Is the software package you are using the Lab Jack offering or is it something you have created in VB to work with the touch screen monitor shown.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I am using DAQFactory for my SCADA interface with the LabJack. Granted, it is a little pricey for a garage project, but it is probably the best solution that I have found. So, well worth it for me.
Unfortunately, I couldn't justify the version that contains the fancy symbol library, so I have had to create my own.

Your efforts look very nice so far, any plans for I/O expansion to incorporate level or flow control.
With the hardware I used and the number and types of points, there were no software packages available so I had to build my own.

Thanks. I have 2 flow switches on it now, but have yet to add them to the program.
I would like to do level monitoring, but haven't found a suitable solution. Do you know of any sensors with an analog signal that won't cost an arm & a leg?
DAQFactory will definitely do exactly what you want. Having some Basic, C++ type of programming experience will definitely help. Even familiarity with PHP is a huge plus. It is a pretty simple text-based programming language.

There are new 0-2 psi wet pressure transmitters in the $120 range, or do like I have and watch Ebay pressure transmitter/pressure sensors for a wet pressure transmitter in the price range you can handle, with a current or voltage output.

I can't take all the credit. I drilled, punched and cut out my box, painted it myself but then sent it down to Texas to have Ryan @ Ebrewsupply.com to do all the wiring of the individual parts. That part is just way over my head. I think he did a very pro job and am super excited how it came out in the end.

control_panel01_zpsbf2141ae.jpg

control_panel02_zps5b9628c8.jpg

control_panel03_zps18210fd5.jpg

control_panel04_zps32f3427d.jpg

inside01_zps966b4e44.jpg

inside04_zps20905da0.jpg

inside02_zps50a25d31.jpg

inside05_zps8b45ffce.jpg

Exact same paint I used on the subwoofer I built a couple of years ago. Shamus thinks it looks spiffy!

DSCF1524.jpg

Here's a few pictures of my control panel. It was recycled from work. I have an Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC and a Red Lion HMI. I am also using VT SCADA for remote control and trending.

2017-01-19 07.13.52.jpg

SCADA.jpg

2017-03-18 11.11.11.jpg

Back