Full boil advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I am ready to do full boils for my extract brews. My question is: How long should I steep my grains for in 5.5-6 gallons of water at 160F? All the instructions for every kit and in "How to Brew" say to steep for up to 30 minutes, but that is for anywhere from 1.5 to 3 gallons.

I usually just put the grains in while the water is heating up and then take them out as the temperature reaches about 170 F. I guess to answer your question, I don't think that the volume of water makes that much difference.

:mug:I always follow the instructions and then add the extra water as I have read where too much water to steep can cause astringency. Also hop utilization changes with more water in a full boil so you can use 20% less hops I believe. I use the calculator on Tastybrew.com(free) or you can buy some of the software out there.:mug:

I too use full boils on a turkey fryer. I steep my grains around 155* with some 2-row inside on the stovetop with around 1.5 qt. water per lb. grain in kind of a mini-mash for 30-60 minutes. I then strain this into the main pot and dump some more, hotter (170*) water through the strainer for a hillbilly sparge.

Takes a few more dishes, but it has helped add some distinct grain flavor to my beers, especially the wheats.

Personally if I am doing a full boil I steep for about 45 minutes to an hour. I would say give it a bit more time than the kit recommends as you are using a bit more water.
-Me

Hey JoeMama, are you related to Jeff? JEFFATHA? Thanks to all for your input!

Hey JoeMama, are you related to Jeff? JEFFATHA? Thanks to all for your input!

LOL No, (at least Im not aware) Unless he lives overseas and is one of my illegitimate kids... :cross:
Ahh teh days of the Navy :)
-Me

Back