The Top 100 Beers In The World: 2008

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate these lists, i understand why imperial stouts and quads are always up there, but the whole system is biased towards them. Just because stouts generally have more complexity than an IPA or brown ale, doesn't make them a "better" beer. I'm probably just preaching to the choir, just had to get that off my chest.

I hate these lists, i understand why imperial stouts and quads are always up there, but the whole system is biased towards them. Just because stouts generally have more complexity than an IPA or brown ale, doesn't make them a "better" beer. I'm probably just preaching to the choir, just had to get that off my chest.

I agree 100%. Most non-brewer beer snobs out there are so biased toward stouts it makes me sick. My uncle seems to think that it has to be a stout to be good beer. He will only take a sip or two of my blondes, IPAs, weissbier etc. Open your horizons people!

Oh big surprise there - a Dark Lord variant and Westvleteren 12 at the top!

Probably the most OVERRATED beers out there today. I think if people actually tried these beers they wouldn't be so damned crazy about them. Also, I'm surprised "Kate the Great" isn't there too? Did not enough fratboys and wine-turned-beer snobs provide their input for the list?

Well I think I'll go have a RIS... since the uninformed, uneducated masses obviously know whats best! :D

How the F##K did they come up with that list? It was way biased mostly toward stouts and a good number of Imperial IPA's and Barleywines. I like a good RIS, but I can't see how any top 100 list could not include more than a few styles of beer.

How can I trust this list if MGD 64 is not in there?????? CRAZY!

The way the list is, just take a very black beer with lots of alcohol and it will make the top 100

I think the big beers should dominate the list.
Beers like brown ales and lagers are nice balanced everyday beers but don't have the layers of complexity and flavors of the bigger beers. Those beers are something that should be sipped and appreciated on special occasions and finished more slowly.
Same with any nearly any type of food category. The 'best' are very flavorful and complex and expected to be enjoyed for special occasions. Lighter flavored varieties are for every day consumption and while good don't get the same level of appreciation.

I have not had Westvleteren 12 but if it is anything like the Westmalle or Rochefort then it probably needs to be near the top. Those Trappist beers seem to be much better than similar styles produced by other brewers in Belgium and American. Atleast compared to the ones i have tried.

Craig

Looked at that list finally.
I noticed that several of my favorites were on that list including the Rochefort and B.O.R.I.S.
I guess I can't argue too much with the list as none of the beers I have tried that are on the list would I say don't belong there. It does lead me to look for some more beers next time I'm shopping.

The only thing I think is missing is some sour beers. They match the complexity and intense flavors of the big beers. However I think many beer drinkers do not appreciate them in the same way because they are so different.

Craig

Looked at that list finally.
I noticed that several of my favorites were on that list including the Rochefort and B.O.R.I.S.
I guess I can't argue too much with the list as none of the beers I have tried that are on the list would I say don't belong there. It does lead me to look for some more beers next time I'm shopping.

The only thing I think is missing is some sour beers. They match the complexity and intense flavors of the big beers. However I think many beer drinkers do not appreciate them in the same way because they are so different.

Craig

There are sours on the list. I noticed Cable Car and Toronado 20th anniversary and cuvee de tomme among others. Granted I would have put the RR 20th much higher, but they are represented.

Are some people upset about the list because the great northwest even didn't make an appearance until #36?

Back