Will the compact fridge work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not likely. Any mini fridge with one of those worthless freezer compartments won't have enough height on the inside.

The going model is the Sanyo 4912 (Best Buy). It does not have a freezer and is tall enough for a standard 5-gallon corny.
Inventory1.JPG

This one might work... Its a little more expensive, but no freezer. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5893621

Let us know how that worked out. The biggest horizontal dimension is just over 21 inches. Thats an outside dimension. I would figure about 2" of insulation on each side, leaving you with 17" inside dimension. Your typical corny is 9" diameter, meaning 2 wouldn't fit @ 18".

Always best to take a tape measure with you when shopping, or make sure you can rely on the dimensions given when shopping online.

I also have Sanyo 4912.

FYI...the 4912 Sanyo's are 4.9CF without a freezer.

It's pretty tight in there already so if you're still looking I would not recommend anything smaller than a 4.9...without a freezer...;)

Anything smaller and it won't work. Trust us on this one. :rockin:

This one might work... Its a little more expensive, but no freezer. I think I'm going to get one in a few weeks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5893621

I just bought the Danby 4.4 cf mini-fridge yesterday and got my first kegging setup today. Unfortunately I only got one keg to start out with, but one fits easily. Check out this link from the Kegging FAQ's section:

http://www.thegatesofdawn.ca/wordpress/homebrewing/kegerator/

It looks like he uses the same model for his kegerator. The only difference between the Danby and the Sanyo everyone else uses is it looks like you have to make some modifications to the door of the Danby to fit 2 kegs.

But, like I said, I only have one corny right now, so I can't say for sure (but I WILL fit 2 kegs in there somehow, I didn't pay $170 for a single keg kegerator)

UPDATE:

I just got my 2nd corny in yesterday and replaced the door shelves of my Danby with a flat panel. The 2nd corny fits well, but only if the door panel is replaced.

Danby 4.4 cf mini-fridge: $170
Light diffuser ceiling panel: $8

So I saved a couple bucks over the Sanyo (which is not available in my area right now antway).

The 4.4 cu. ft. danby works fine for 2 kegs, but you do have to remove the door bin panel, like you said. I went with an acrylic panel with a laminated poster behind it:
IMG_9244.jpg

However, I can't vouche for how well the CO2 tank fits as I mounted mine to the back and ran the gas line in:
IMG_9212.jpg

Oh, and might also be worth mentioning that if you remove the door panel, you'll need to address the issue of the switch that controls the light, as it will stay on all the time unless you either disconnect it (or remove the bulb) or fashion a replacement limit switch as I did (you can see it in the posted picture). Another option might be to glue a small block of wood to the door so that it actuates the existing limit switch.
WARNING: Whatever you do, use caution, as this is a 120V circuit.

My 5lb CO2 tank fits in the fridge on the "hump" inside (fits best right in the center).

I just unscrewed the bulb enough that the light stays out.

I like the clear panel on your fridge. I looked for one at Lowes but couldn't find a piece the right size for a reasonable price.

I have the same Danby fridge and fit my 5# tank on the hump too.

I used a sheet of white vinyl from an old trade show sign for the inside door and just took out the bulb. It was burned out anyway.

I got the fridge for $50 on CL last winter.

I have a 2 Corni and CO2 tank setup from Midwest Supplies. Will this compact refrigerator work?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5430328

I have this exact fridge and I was able to make it work. You have to bend the freezer section out of the way, being extra careful not to crimp the tubing and then place the separating tray in front of the freezer bottom (evaporation coils) to get a good separation between the cooling coils and main fridge area. If you would like I could take pictures...

I am also able to fit a 5 lb CO2 tank in the back, but you have to watch for it to fall out when you remove the corney keg, it would be easy to build something to hook it in though....

I also had to take out the door, and just fiberglassed the inside. I plan on going back over and putting a layer of epoxy filler to make it look nice, but haven't has a chance.

Back