WooHoo! 50 QT Igloo Ice Cubes at Target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about the braided Stainless. Mostly about the hosing that comes inside it. Is that capable of the temperatures seen in a Mashtun or does it need to be replaced. Also is it food safe? Not that I would think it would matter since it's pre-boil. It's just a standard Plumbing steel braided hose.

IrregularPulse said:
Question about the braided Stainless. Mostly about the hosing that comes inside it. Is that capable of the temperatures seen in a Mashtun or does it need to be replaced. Also is it food safe? Not that I would think it would matter since it's pre-boil. It's just a standard Plumbing steel braided hose.
It does matter because it can leach chemicals.

I don't know for sure, but I would assume it's NOT food grade. It's for toilets!!!

IrregularPulse said:
The housing inside the braid is not used for a MLT. You cut the ends off the hose, pull the rubber part out and use a hose clamp to attach the braid to a nipple on your bulkhead.

The housing should be food safe as these fittings are used for sinks in addition to toilets and washing machines. But like I said it doesn't matter.

Craig

Food safe in a toilet? Who eats in a toilet? I know guys in prison make booze in their toilet... I didnt realize this was that kinda forum!!!:fro:

Two concerns I've read about with the SS braid:

• Excessive grain bills soaking wet can weigh enough to "squash" the braid.
  • The mesh is so fine that if you are aggressive with your crush, stuck sparges are a common occurence.

The copper manifold like post #28 eliminates both of these problems.

There is no need however to sweat the copper joints. Just dry fit them and they will stay put...plus it's easier to clean the apparatus by taking it apart.

FWIW.

How does the Igloo Ice Cube brand coolers compare with the Rubbermaid and Coleman coolers? I was set to buy a Coleman Xtreme cooler at one point because I hear that it retains the heat EXTREMELY well. :mug:

Brew Dude said:
How does the Igloo Ice Cube brand coolers compare with the Rubbermaid and Coleman coolers? I was set to buy a Coleman Xtreme cooler at one point because I hear that it retains the heat EXTREMELY well. :mug:

I saw EvilTOJ's coleman extreme in action last weekend, and honestly if you have the money, I'd recommend it. The insulation on these things is very thick, and it keeps heat like you wouldn't believe. Great option if you brew outdoors on cool day.

McKBrew said:
I saw EvilTOJ's coleman extreme in action last weekend, and honestly if you have the money, I'd recommend it. The insulation on these things is very thick, and it keeps heat like you wouldn't believe. Great option if you brew outdoors on cool day.

Yeah, that's what I've been hearing. Still, for $20, I don't know if I can pass up the deal on the Ice Cube.

Anybody have an Ice Cube? How well does it keep the heat when you're mashing?

The insulation on this cooler is fairly thin. I did a test a few nights ago with it and my 180 degree sparge water lost about 10 degrees in just over an about an hour (to be honest I really didn't pay attention to the time, and it may have been up to 1.5 hours). I didn't pre-heat either, so I think that this cooler will do OK for use as an indoor MLT at room temperature, but that it might need some additional insulation wrapped around it for outside cooler days.

What is some good insulation that can be wrapped that doesn't need to be flame resistant? I've seen the stuff people use on keggels but looks like it'd be overkill for this application. I plan on doing my Mashing Outside.

McKBrew said:
The insulation on this cooler is fairly thin. I did a test a few nights ago with it and my 180 degree sparge water lost about 10 degrees in just over an about an hour (to be honest I really didn't pay attention to the time, and it may have been up to 1.5 hours). I didn't pre-heat either, so I think that this cooler will do OK for use as an indoor MLT at room temperature, but that it might need some additional insulation wrapped around it for outside cooler days.
Did you do that 'test' indoors or outdoors. I hope this thing doesn't loose 10 degrees INSIDE at room temp...If so I may take it back before I start drilling it.

McKBrew-yeah, thats the stuff I was talking about but didn't know if there was anything cheaper that would handle this low heat app.

bigben said:
Did you do that 'test' indoors or outdoors. I hope this thing doesn't loose 10 degrees INSIDE at room temp...If so I may take it back before I start drilling it.

It wasn't a very controlled test. Honestly I think you will be fine, but if you have any concerns you can do a timed temperature test.

Preheat the cooler with 180 degree water for at least 10min then heat water up to your Mash Temp, or a few degrees above and let it set for 60 min. Take a temp reading. I'd also take a measurement at 90min for longer mashes. Keep in mind a grain bed is going to hold temperature better than an empty cooler.

McKBrew said:
I've seen this stuff used quite a bit around the forum, you can pick it up at HD or Lowes.

That insulation is GREAT... We use a ton of it at work and I have been able to scrap together some Carboy "Coozies" with it. They have been keeping the fermenting beer at its pitching temperature (70* F) in a 60*F room. It should work well for your MLT insulation....

NoClueBrewMaster said:
That insulation is GREAT... We use a ton of it at work and I have been able to scrap together some Carboy "Coozies" with it. They have been keeping the fermenting beer at its pitching temperature (70* F) in a 60*F room. It should work well for your MLT insulation....
Yea, but why use a cooler that needs extra insulation, when you can probably just get a better cooler??

IrregularPulse said:
Because cooler +insulation = >$30 Better cooler =$50-$70. We don't all have money trees
yea, I hear that. I thought it was more for that insulation. But yea, if it's about $10 per cooler, that ain't bad.

After going back and forth several times, I think I will keep these 2 igloos. I plan on brewing in my garage(with the door open of course) so wind won't be a factor and if I need to I will get some insulation.

bigben said:
yea, I hear that. I thought it was more for that insulation. But yea, if it's about $10 per cooler, that ain't bad.

After going back and forth several times, I think I will keep these 2 igloos. I plan on brewing in my garage(with the door open of course) so wind won't be a factor and if I need to I will get some insulation.

Ben

I think you will definately need insulation with this cooler. I used it as a HLT, and added 185 degree water to it, after pre-heating with 180 degree water for over 10 minutes. Within 15 min, the temp in this cooler had dropped to about 170. There is a large amount of heat loss at the lid based on the volume of steam coming out.

Just picked up 2 48 qt. Ice Cube coolers at Walmart for $4.50 each and they have holes drilled in them already.

mlinny said:
Just picked up 2 48 qt. Ice Cube coolers at Walmart for $4.50 each and they have holes drilled in them already.
Huh? Where are you located. Is this some sort of first post joke??

Well, after all this I think I am going to take these coolers back. Good thing I didnt drill anything.

I am going to pick up a 70QT Coleman Xtreme. They are supposed to hold the heat really well, and they already have the hole for a bulkhead fitting.

bigben said:
Well, after all this I think I am going to take these coolers back. Good thing I didnt drill anything.

I am going to pick up a 70QT Coleman Xtreme. They are supposed to hold the heat really well, and they already have the hole for a bulkhead fitting.

Not a bad choice. You can find the 70qt extreme at the ever evil Walmart for under 40 bones, or order it somewhere else and pay about double. EvilTOJ used an extreme at the Milwaukee Oregon Brew-out a few weeks back, and it held temperature perfectly for over an hour in 40 degree weather.

I think I'm going to conver the el-cheapo cooler back into a drink container.

McKBrew said:
Not a bad choice. You can find the 70qt extreme at the ever evil Walmart for under 40 bones, or order it somewhere else and pay about double. EvilTOJ used an extreme at the Milwaukee Oregon Brew-out a few weeks back, and it held temperature perfectly for over an hour in 40 degree weather.

I think I'm going to conver the el-cheapo cooler back into a drink container.
I did the deed. I picked up the 70QT Xtreme from walmart for $38.

I just finished making my MLT from the 20 dollar. I figure it should at least hold temps during the summer and if it starts slacking when the weather drops I can upgrade to the 70Q Coleman Extreme and convert this back to a cool with a simple plug into the bulkhead, or just leave the spigot on. All in all it was a great day. Built my MLT and Got my Chiller in the mail. Still only have a Dang 5 gallon pot. Anyone have a good 3 gallon AG recipe??? For say a really heavy heavy Porter.

bigben said:
Huh? Where are you located. Is this some sort of first post joke??

No, not a first post joke. I had to stop in at the Walmart to buy some camp chairs and decided to look at the coolers. I figured I'd share my find.

I'm in North Texas by the way.

Just thought I'd chime in here... I bought one of these things for 20 bucks at target, and picked up a roll of reflectix insulation and aluminum tape at home depot for about 20 bucks. I drilled with a holesaw and swapped in hardware from another MLT. I wrapped the cooler with one layer of insulation. Over a mash of about 75 minutes, outdoors with an ambient temp of about 65F and some wind, I didn't see even a 1 degree temperature drop, with my digital thermometer probe approximately in the center of the mash. I should note that this was only a 5-gallon batch, so the cooler was significantly under-filled, so things should only get better with a 10g batch with more thermal mass.

I've still got the vast majority of the rolls of reflectix and aluminum tape left over for other projects, so considering the fraction of those costs, it cost me under $30 total. Plus, I will get all sorts of weird looks from the neighbors with it wrapped in silver bubble wrap, which is almost worth it in and of itself :D

mlinny said:

Could you share the Part Number / SKU / UPC / name of those coolers?

carnevoodoo said:
The 60 quart ones are the ones that people have built foam lids onto.

These 60quart Ice Cubes are only $26 at my local Wal Mart I think. Great deal for a cooler with a spigot. See:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765

Then again, why would such a large cooler be helpful. If I can fit enough grain in the 50-quart cooler for a 10-gallon batch, why would the 60 be better? Perhaps if I needed a massive amount of grain/ if the system was inefficient?

I have both the IceCube and the Coleman X-treme 70. They are both nice in their own ways. My IceCube is older.....bought about 6 years ago, so I don't know if the insulation has changed.

I've never seen a drop of more than a couple degrees during mash, but then again, I mash in a controlled environment than rarely goes below 50 degrees.

Got to say, though, the Coleman is the better purchase for sparging as the spigot hole is actually in a trough on the floor of the cooler. If you tip the cooler up about an inch opposite to the spigot, you essentially leave no wort behind. For this reason, most batches I'll do from here forward will be mashed in the Coleman, unless the grain poundage is smaller. I'm guessing the IceCube would get a little higher efficiency in smaller batches.

We'll see. I don't think one could go wrong with either option.:tank:

learningmore said:
These 60quart Ice Cubes are only $26 at my local Wal Mart I think. Great deal for a cooler with a spigot. See:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765
That's the cooler I was using for 10g batches before I bought this 50qt ice cube. IMO, that 60qt model really sucks.
-The spigot is at a 45 degree angle and raised up from the bottom, so you have to do more plumbing to get the inlet to the very bottom. This is in comparison to the 50qt ice cube, which has a trough for the outlet so you can drain every last drop.
-The valve on the outside is pointing DOWN at a 45 degree angle so it barely clears the ground with a hose nipple.
-The valve is right between the wheels, so you can't actually ROLL the cooler on the wheels or it drags on the ground... therefore making the wheels and collapsible handle pretty worthless. If you were to forget the existing spigot hole and install a valve on another side of the cooler through the wall, a lot of the headaches would be avoided.
-The handles are molded in (rather than hinged ones that you can really grab on to) and aren't that great.
-It's surprisingly large. Comparing it side-by-side to the 50qt model, it seems much bigger than you would expect... the 60qt was a royal pain to carry to the woods to empty out, but the 50qt is not bad at all.

That's just my 2 cents based on my experience with it...

learningmore said:
Then again, why would such a large cooler be helpful. If I can fit enough grain in the 50-quart cooler for a 10-gallon batch, why would the 60 be better? Perhaps if I needed a massive amount of grain/ if the system was inefficient?
Because the higher the gravity of the beer the more grain you need to use, and thus the more space you need in the MLT. Even a 40qt cooler could handle 10g batches up to a moderate gravity in the 1050's or 1060's, depending on efficiency, but if you're trying to do a BIG beer you definitely need more space. 50qt should handle 10g batches up into the 1080's or maybe higher, depending on efficiency, and of course pretty much any 5g batch you can throw at it.

I'll also pass along that Kmart has the 52qt. Coleman Xtreme for $30.

As someone who is new to all-grain setups, this Coleman is the one I settled on as it seems to fit in my car trunk without too many headaches, has that nifty sunken drain channel, usable handles, that excellent insulation and adequate capacity.

Now if I can just settle on a manifold design...

I'll also pass along that Kmart has the 52qt. Coleman Xtreme for $30.

As someone who is new to all-grain setups, this Coleman is the one I settled on as it seems to fit in my car trunk without too many headaches, has that nifty sunken drain channel, usable handles, that excellent insulation and adequate capacity.

Now if I can just settle on a manifold design...

You can get the 70qt @ Walmart for $38.

My Walmarts must really suck. I was at a Super WalMart yesterday and they had maybe one cooler that I would have considered ok for use simply because of the design of the cooler, the hole location, or the physical size. And even the one I did see had no spigot and I would have had to drill a new hole. This was out of perhaps 15 different models. I almost gave up and picked up the 5 gallon drink cooler but then realized that the spigot was well over an inch from the bottom and I would have been leaving a bunch of water in there, plus it was only 20 quarts. Maybe I'll try Target later today. At least trying to find one in the spring should be a lot easier than doing so in the fall when all the stores tighten shelf space for such a product.

I also lost heat in my cube. The cube is great, but the LID IS HOLLOW! A plethora of holes and a can of GreatStuff later, problem fixed.

I am pretty happy with it. SS braid rocks! I don't agree with the person who suggested SS has more stuck mashes than copper. No way. SO much more surface area.

Raymond in Portsmouth.

Back