measure gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
I have not been measuring my s.g. or f.g b/c my hydro was broke when I go my original kit. My question is:

1 Do I measure right before I pitch my yeast and then when I think it is done fermenting to see if reaadings are the same for 2 days in a row?

2. How do you measure, do you use a thief in the primary and just one step the thief realy good?

I only have 2 batches under my belt and so far so good I just dont want to mess the next one up.

Well, yes. to both questions!

I take the sg right before pitching the yeast, and then not again until I'm planning to transfer the beer after fermentation is finished. I like to leave my beer alone for about 10 days to 2 weeks before I even open the fermentor. There really isn't a need to take the sg until you want to bottle or transfer it. That just ensures that fermentation is complete.

I use a sanitized turkey baster to pull my samples out, but a wine thief is nicer!

YooperBrew said:
Well, yes. to both questions!

I take the sg right before pitching the yeast, and then not again until I'm planning to transfer the beer after fermentation is finished. I like to leave my beer alone for about 10 days to 2 weeks before I even open the fermentor. There really isn't a need to take the sg until you want to bottle or transfer it. That just ensures that fermentation is complete.

I use a sanitized turkey baster to pull my samples out, but a wine thief is nicer!

Thanks I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for moving my post I realised afterwards that I should have put it here..

use star san. its a far better sanitizer than One Step. way less contact time needed...basically foolproof.

I usually put the hydro right in the bucket. if I'm using a carboy, then my thief retrieves the sample. i have a graduated cylinder to hold the sample.

Back