It happened AGAIN... *Graphic Content*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At plastics factories they have these things called "grinders" that... grind up plastic parts. Large parts like Facias for cars require large grinders.

So apparently, as the story goes, some guys were tossing parts into a large grinder and they got kind of jammed up at the top, so one of the guys decided press on the jam pile with his foot... And slipped.

Also, and this was a verifiable accident, a Tool and Die guy was repairing a mold that makes plastic coat hangers. If you google what an injection press looks like you can see he had to get between the platens of what I would guess would have been a 500-1500 ton press. For whatever reason, the press cycled while he was between the mold halves. Now, both of these things could have been prevented with just a TINY bit of caution. For the press, simply disconnecting the main power and using appropriate lockout procedures would have kept this man alive. But I guess the world was in dire need of more plastic coat hangers... at 1000 lbs, I'm guess that guy was about 1/2" thick when they found him.

For the record, I DO feel bad that a young man in his prime on his birthday died in a heinous way...

So much so I am interested in making sure it doesnt happen again.

Don't feel bad Creamy, even if you put up a fence along the tracks, stupid people will climb it. Every so often somebody climbs the fence & falls into the Grand Canyon for cryin out loud. An accident is just that, an accident; but these kids were just plain STUPID. That kid actually did us all a favour; now he cannot contaminate the rest of the gene pool. Nominate him for a Darwin Award.
Regards, GF.

Are they working in the silos or doing something truly dumb?
As a firefighter trained in grain bin rescues, I will say ANY work inside a silo is truly dumb. There is very little reason to be inside a bin with grain in it, yet it happens on almost every farm. They are all classified as "Confined Spaces" by OSHA rules, and as such you are supposed to monitor air quality whenever someone is inside, have a tag/rescue line attached to each person, and for every man inside the bin, there needs to be one outside. Very rarely are those safety protocol followed though.

So what you are saying is a guy goes in to willingly jump on what could well be the manmade equal to quicksand in an environment that is, if I am not mistaken, quite possibly explosive due to grain dust? Do I have that right?

So what you are saying is a guy goes in to willingly jump on what could well be the manmade equal to quicksand in an environment that is, if I am not mistaken, quite possibly explosive due to grain dust? Do I have that right?
You forget potentially toxic gasses from decomposition of spoiled grain, but, yeah.

And the mechanical aspect -- on a big storage bin with a 10" unloading auger at the bottom... if you're standing on top of the grain when that auger starts, you've got less than 10 seconds to get out of the bin before you'll be trapped in flowing grain.

I'd have to look at the numbers again, but when you're knee-deep in grain, the amount of lift it takes to get you out is around 100 lbs over your body weight. Waist deep I want to say it's around 300 lbs. If you're buried over your head, it takes over 2,000 lbs of lift to pull your body out.

Darwin18 said:
NPR was discussing the deaths of young men in grain silos yesterday. Terrible and completely preventable as well.

It's all week. I heard another story about it today. Sounds like a very, very bad way to die.

I believe it was called stepping down the grain. Essentially walking ontop the grain to pack it down. Of course, there is the very real risk of the grain collapsing into a void and smothering you.

As a firefighter trained in grain bin rescues, I will say ANY work inside a silo is truly dumb. There is very little reason to be inside a bin with grain in it, yet it happens on almost every farm. They are all classified as "Confined Spaces" by OSHA rules, and as such you are supposed to monitor air quality whenever someone is inside, have a tag/rescue line attached to each person, and for every man inside the bin, there needs to be one outside. Very rarely are those safety protocol followed though.

Limited entry and egress, not designed for continuous human habitation, probably no ventilation, or at least inadequate for prolonged stays, and for sure an engulfment hazard. Yep. Confined space.

Trains. They go on tracks. People. They do not. We get a few car vs train around here. People try to beat it. People lose.

While working at the quarry I mentioned earlier, I received safety training quarterly which usually was just a bunch of horror stories. One such, was two men, one young, one experienced working in a silo of a powdery substance, I forgot what kind. The powder substance had a crust on the top of it and the younger guy broke through the crust and fell in, the older guy fell in right behind and stopped chest deep but standing on the younger guy's shoulders, who was of course suffocating.

Not sure if it was true or not, but it's one of those situations which you don't want to find out for yourself.

While working at the quarry I mentioned earlier, I received safety training quarterly which usually was just a bunch of horror stories. One such, was two men, one young, one experienced working in a silo of a powdery substance, I forgot what kind. The powder substance had a crust on the top of it and the younger guy broke through the crust and fell in, the older guy fell in right behind and stopped chest deep but standing on the younger guy's shoulders, who was of course suffocating.

Not sure if it was true or not, but it's one of those situations which you don't want to find out for yourself.
Sounds a lot like fire service training. Most all NFPA regulations are "blood laws" -- they were written as the result of someone dying.

The story that came up during my grain bin rescue class happened in eastern Iowa just a couple years ago. Backstory: When grain spoils, it has a tendency to 'stick' together, either in clumps stuck to the side of the bin, or "bridges", which are exactly what they sound like (and exactly what happened in the quoted story above - the material crusted over and bridged).

A government grain inspector showed up at a bin site to inspect the corn in storage. He didn't bother to check in at the office before he went to check the bins. Climbed to the top, opened the upper access hatch and walked around on the surface of the grain. Did his inspection, and then reported to the office. Told the manager, "You need to get that corn out of bin #7, it's starting to go out of condition."

Manager asked him, "You're sure it was bin #7?" Inspector replied that he was. Manager motioned for the inspector to follow him, and walked out to the bottom of of bin #7... and opened the door. Told the inspector "We emptied this bin last week."

The inspector had been walking on spoiled, bridged grain.... 80 feet above a concrete bin floor. One step in the wrong spot, or if he had tried to break through the crust to check grain below it, and it would have been the end of the line for him.

Sounds a lot like fire service training. Most all NFPA regulations are "blood laws" -- they were written as the result of someone dying.

The story that came up during my grain bin rescue class happened in eastern Iowa just a couple years ago. Backstory: When grain spoils, it has a tendency to 'stick' together, either in clumps stuck to the side of the bin, or "bridges", which are exactly what they sound like (and exactly what happened in the quoted story above - the material crusted over and bridged).

A government grain inspector showed up at a bin site to inspect the corn in storage. He didn't bother to check in at the office before he went to check the bins. Climbed to the top, opened the upper access hatch and walked around on the surface of the grain. Did his inspection, and then reported to the office. Told the manager, "You need to get that corn out of bin #7, it's starting to go out of condition."

Manager asked him, "You're sure it was bin #7?" Inspector replied that he was. Manager motioned for the inspector to follow him, and walked out to the bottom of of bin #7... and opened the door. Told the inspector "We emptied this bin last week."

The inspector had been walking on spoiled, bridged grain.... 80 feet above a concrete bin floor. One step in the wrong spot, or if he had tried to break through the crust to check grain below it, and it would have been the end of the line for him.

Jesus.

The more I'm reminded up this stuff, the more I feel better about avoiding IEDs and getting shot at. Not sure why I'm more comfortable with that, than industrial/mining threats. Maybe because I get to shoot back, which you really can't do to a rock crusher or conveyor belt.

Or automation machinery. It's hydraulicly driven & without mercy. When I was young in the machining area,a guy got his loose collar on his coveralls caught in an ejector slide. tore his head off. Stay the F outta the equipment till it's shut off & locked out. And locked out by every man working on it. That's OSHA rules,but you'd be surprised how much "I can do this real quick" stuff I've seen.
One time when I first started at Ford,a main bearing cap got caught in the barrel sized milling cutter at the end of the machine that seperates the caps.
I signaled the operator to shut'er down,but didn't wait for the cutter to stop spinning. Didn't use my pry bar either,& was wearing those big terry cloth gloves. It got caught in the milling cutters,my left hand was going in...couldn't pull loose. Then I thought to hold my fingers straight out,& the glove slipped off & was shredded like a piece of meat in a gator's mouth.
Never again did I do something so stupid. Gotta be thinkin all the time,or you get hurt,real quick.

I work in EMS... I haven't seen it all. But I have seen enough.

Out here in the Midwest.. open country.. we have people that try to beat the train at country road crossings.
Well ya know what they say, "If the East bound doesn't get ya, the West bound will!"

I've seen it a number of times, miraculously... most have survived.

Anyhow.. ya all have a good day!

Ahh so THATS why my commute took so long yesterday.

http://gothamist.com/2013/06/11/n_q_trains_suspended_between_queens.php

So, turns out I get into Astoria just after the police scooped body parts of a suicidal man off the street. I'm actually a little shaken now, thinking of how many times I have walked on the sidewalk, and the idea that a random arm or leg would have fallen on me had I been on a walk on a Saturday.

CreamyGoodness said:
I just dont understand. Unless a train somehow jumps the tracks (which happens very very rarely. I dont know if it has ever even happened once with a NY subway train) there is absolutely no way a train can hit you unless YOU go to IT. It is literally more likely for a chunk of frozen urine to fall from an airplane and hit you than it is for you to get hit by a train... and yet we have had 200 people hit by trains this year!! WTF!?

Yes this^^
I also don't really understand how trains can collide,or hit each other at all? They are on tracks, they are on schedules. How could it be any more predictable? Yet you hear about it all the time.
I guess maybe if I came from a part of the country where trains were more prevalent this would make some since to me.

Yes this^^
I also don't really understand how trains can collide,or hit each other at all? They are on tracks, they are on schedules. How could it be any more predictable? Yet you hear about it all the time.
I guess maybe if I came from a part of the country where trains were more prevalent this would make some since to me.

True, they are on schedules and tracks, but people are operating them and most of the time you have more than one train operating on the same track. So if an engineer misses his stop signal you have one train driving into another train.

There is a big initiative to implement PTC (positive train control) which basically will auto-brake a train should an engineer start operating in a reckless manner, but it's still a ways out with all the infrastructure required for it.

Back