When to transfer to 2dary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahwitham

Reaction score
Got a Pale Ale going that I've had in primary for a week now. Usually the krausen drops by now and airlock stops and I transfer to secondary for dry hops.
Question: Krausen is still present, is there any reason why I shouldn't transfer to secondary or would you wait until all activity is stopped in primary to transfer?
thanks

Have you taken a gravity reading? You DO NOT MOVE the beer until you have verified it has reached FG, then ideally you give it another week to clear. If the krausen hasn't dropped then give it some more time before doing anything as that begins the clearing process.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with dry hopping in primary:)

NEVER!

Leaving it in primary for 3+ weeks will help in clearing and also prevent oxidation when not racking to 2ndary.
Which yeast strain are you using? Some are more prone to leaving residual krausen then others.
Also like others have stated make sure gravity is constant for 3 days before bottling.

Thanks guys. appreciate the feedback.
I'm using the California Ale strain from white labs used in so many IPA's and Pale Ales.
Things have slowed pretty significantly over the past few days and will take a gravity reading this afternoon when I get home.

This is a much discussed topic here. Personally, I no longer use a secondary unless I am bulk aging a beer for many months. Dry hopping can be done right in the primary....though you will hear from others that suggest moving it.

Back