I had to cut my boil short ~2 minutes after a DME addition. Will it turn out OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quark42

Reaction score
First off, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it isn't, please let me know.

:confused:

So, I was brewing a pumpkin amber ale last night and brew day went rather hairy. I noticed my mash efficiency was horrible about 40 minutes into the boil, and I threw in about a pound of DME at the 45 minute mark to boost the OG. Despite my best efforts, the wort boiled over.

Now here's where my problem is, the boil over confused the safety cut of on my propane burner, and wouldn't let the burner turn back on. So, after a couple of minutes of failing to persuade my burner to stay on (it would cut out after about 30 seconds), I decided to cut my losses, and end the boil right there, with the DME having only been in the boil for a few minutes.

:(

So, my question is, will a 45 minute boil with an extract addition effectively at flame out fail to make a drinkable beer, or should I RDWHAHB?

Thanks! :)

It'll be good. A lot of extract brewers add a late addition some of whom do it at flameout

Also your shorter boil time and lower gravity might actually lead to an accidental hop balance.

Nothing to do now but rdwhahb and tweak your system so none of that happens again.

Adding DME essentially at flameout will be perfectly fine, no problems. As Xpertskir said, the lower gravity and short boil may actually cancel each other out and give you a beer more balanced than if you had been able to continue the boil.

Latest posts

Back