Compressor Replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
Just found this beautifully painted antique fridge that would make quite the kegorator. I contacted the seller, and the compressor was literally removed and discarded. I consider myself pretty handy, but don't have any expierience installing a compressor. Does anyone have any expertise in this, and could it be done with common tools?

My first thought was just to buy a mini-fridge or AC unit and duct it into this fridge, which is something I'd feel comfortable doing, but it certainly isn't ideal.

What think the experts?

5Y25K15M63M33mc3Ldc7ra69835acb8661886.jpg

Gorgeous fridge. Were they just using it as a storage cabinet or something?? I would think if you can find a model number then you could probably find a compatible compressor. I guess it depends on just how much of its guts they ripped out. If they just snipped the lines on either side of the compressor, you could probably braze a new one in pretty easily.

There may be some compatibility issues with the older refrigerants / oils and the newer stuff out there today, but old lines can be flushed. You would probably need more than common hand tools and it would have to be evacuated and charged after the new compressor & filter-drier are installed. It can probably be done, but you should probably find a local refrigeration tech to have a look at it. Sometimes adult education HVAC or refrigeration classes like to tinker with projects like that, so that may be an option......

A vocational school would be a good option as well, once classes start back up. Repairing an old fridge like that would be right up their alley. Would probably just cost whatever the parts cost, since its a school project for them.

Back