Single or double step infusion for dunkel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeFegely

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my second lager this weekend - a Munich dunkel. The base grains will be 8.5 lbs of Munich 10L and 2 lbs of Pilsen. I did a decoction on my last lager and want to try a simpler infusion mash on this one. My question is whether to do one or two steps. My sacharification rest will be around 153-154. These will be Breiss malts with typical analysis as follows:

Munich Malt 10L - protein 13%, S/T 37.0, DP 30 Lintner

Pilsen Malt - protein 11.3%, S/T 37.0, DP 130 Lintner

Should I do a protein rest (or any other rest for that matter) in addition to the 153-154 rest? What benefits would the additional rest provide?

Thanks,
Jake

For a dunkel which is supposed to be high malt flavor I would do a double decoc, ideally a triple, but who has that kinda time, this will give the best malty flavor for a beer, that is why German beer has such high malted flavor the decoction helps so much

Yes, since the first post I went back to Noonan's book and was thinking I really should do the decoction. He also says a protein rest is needed if the S/T is below 38. So here's my plan at this point.

Strike to 131 and hold about 15 minutes.
Pull thick decoction, raise to 158 for 10-15 minutes, then to boiling.
Add back to main mash to get 158 and hold until converted.
Pull thin decoction, heat to boil, return to main mash to get 168 mash out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Looks real good but id add a beta rest @148-152 to get best conversion to fermentable sugars, maybe add some of first decoc to main mash to get to this rest, which may mean you need to pull a larger first decoction

Yes, I've seen Kai's videos. They are quite helpful.

KuntzBrewing - I'm a bit concerned about drying this out if I add a rest at 148-152. this is a dunkel. You don't think I'd dry it out too much by adding that rest?

Maybe just a short one or do it more in the 153 degree temp range, I mean you want some good fermentables but then again you want the unfermentables for your body, but its up to you and what you want, if you skip it it'll probly be ok still

Latest posts

Back