Yeast alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIsurfer

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, but not entirely new to homebrewing. I've brewed mostly kits, but added extras to them, to put my "stamp" on them. At any rate, I'm in a bit of a conumdrum with yeast. I like to make cider on the side, something fun to do, and most everybody enjoys it. Where I live, Charleston, SC, there are NO homebrewing stores. Yep, in a metro area of close to 900k, there are no homebrew stores. The closest one is up in Cola and that's a bit of a haul from here. What I am wondering, is if one can use the supplement Brewer's Yeast to brew with? I've used Baker's Yeast before for cider, but not Brewer's Yeast. I'm not sure if it would be better than Baker's Yeast or not. Anybody have some answers? Mahalo.

I come to charleston on occasion to see friends and relatives and could drop some supplies from the shop up here if you like. otherwise the sites above are your best option. there used to be a place in mt pleasant but i think they went out of buisness a while back.....

Ok, for the time being, I went out and got the baker's yeast. I will def order from a site online, I noticed that Ashville Brewing Supply also ships, that's just a straight shot down the Interstate. I found two different types of yeast though, regular and rapid rise. I got both, but which would be better to use in a jam?

Please post something or send a PM on how the beer comes out with baker's yeast. I'm dying of curiosity to try this.

For fresh pressed cider, you don't need to add any yeast - the wild yeast will do the job. Personally, I'd wait and get some ale yeast before using baker's yeast.

FWIW, to add to remilard's list, another vendor that I like is Seven Bridges Cooperative at www.breworganic.com

Ok, for the time being, I went out and got the baker's yeast. I will def order from a site online, I noticed that Ashville Brewing Supply also ships, that's just a straight shot down the Interstate. I found two different types of yeast though, regular and rapid rise. I got both, but which would be better to use in a jam?

Don't be afraid to order yeast online. Just check first to see how bad the shipping charge is.
I like to order from BrewGadgets (they don't beat you up on shipping). They stock a pretty good selection of both liquid or dry yeast.

Cheers

Awesome, thanks for all the help. This should be interesting if it turns out right. I'm going to add some maple syrup and was thinking about adding a hint of bourbon. We'll see.

Back