PID selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKHA

Reaction score
when I built my system the PID of choice was a SYL-2352 and have started to work on plans for my dual fuel system and it seams that the PID of choice has changed to the 2362. Just wondering why?

The PIDs I bought for my Brutus rig really SUCK! Plus the "smart" honeywell intermittent pilot spark ignitors are sometimes too smart. I use it mostly in the dumbest down mode I can choose otherwise it incessantly cycles on and off. I think the brand is ToHo.

Word of advice, is unless you are extremely knowledgable about these devices, get the one with the BEST instruction sheet. Mine is in engRish, not English, and is very confusing.

TD

when I built my system the PID of choice was a SYL-2352 and have started to work on plans for my dual fuel system and it seams that the PID of choice has changed to the 2362. Just wondering why?
How in the world did you come to that conclusion? (SYL-2352 vs SYL-2362)-???
The performance and functions are very different...

that i why asking went with the flow then(09) researching now. the 52 works great and when talking to tech at Auber they are what they suggested, just looking before buying. Can you help explain the differences and your choice thanks in advance.

After comparing I will purchase the 62 for new build and use the 52 for gas side of the system.

revisiting this thread a little, I am also choosing between the 2352 and 2362. It seems the 2352 is more popular but I looked at theelectricbrewery.com and they recommend the 2362....any input?
Its going to be for a e-biab

If it has been a while since you looked at them at Auberinst I know they made some changes.

They have a new one (not sure how long it has been out) which has a Ramp/Soak option. This allows you to program a step mash in the PID and let it run. It has a timer built into it to hold at temp XXX for YYY minutes.

This is nice but the problem with that PID is that it doesn't have a manual mode. So that means it is great for a RIMS Tube or HERMS HLT but not for a BK. Well I am assuming you are using this in electric brewing since this is the electric section of the site.

The other one that they offer is the one that doesn't offer the Ramp/Soak feature. You set the temp you want and it goes to that temp and holds there until you change the temp as you would expect. This version does have a manual mode to set the duty cycle for doing a boil. While this one would work for a BK as well as other applications like the RIMS Tube and HERMS HLT, it would be nice to have the other one for those latter two options.

I think the part numbers changed when they came out with the Ramp/Soak PID.

So I just spend a few mins reviewing aubernins website and then called them. They said that both units are acceptable. 2352 is the industry standard and the favorite though 2362 tends to be more user friendly with a few less settings. Also said that 2352 is a traditional PID where the 2362 is a different kind of logic.
Neither of these are the ramp/soak models (sennister, you were right about the lack of a manual mode on these)

So I just spend a few mins reviewing aubernins website and then called them. They said that both units are acceptable. 2352 is the industry standard and the favorite though 2362 tends to be more user friendly with a few less settings. Also said that 2352 is a traditional PID where the 2362 is a different kind of logic.
Neither of these are the ramp/soak models (sennister, you were right about the lack of a manual mode on these)

Some good info. Like I said the Ramp/Soak model would be best suited for a HLT or RIMS application where you wouldn't run it in manual mode. The manual mode is really only normally used in our application for the BK where you want to manually set the duty cycle. In the BK your point is to maintain a boil not a temp. Where the HLT /MT you want to maintain a temp. The Ramp/Soak model isn't much difference in cost and lets either program in a step mash or just set the desired temp and let it go with a separate timer.

Auberins (for example) makes quite a few different PID models because there are quite a few different ways to use them. There is no "one" right PID.

The right PID for you is the one that works best for the brewing process you want to use. So your question of which is better: 2352 or 2362 can't really be answered without a ton more information such as how you want to brew (your process).

Kal

Auberins (for example) makes quite a few different PID models because there are quite a few different ways to use them. There is no "one" right PID.

The right PID for you is the one that works best for the brewing process you want to use. So your question of which is better: 2352 or 2362 can't really be answered without a ton more information such as how you want to brew (your process).

Kal

Kal-I'm going to be controlling a 10gal e-biab with a 5500W element. I actually haven't brewed anything with this yet as I am about to build the controller but as for previous all grain systems, a few mash steps, sparge, and boil. Nothing fancy

Not sure if you were looking at me to make a recommendation for you based on that, but "a few mash steps, sparge, and boil. Nothing fancy." isn't a brewing process so I can't make recommendations. You need to look at our process step by step from start to end. Exactly what you want to do every step of the way. Detailed. Pretty much a line by line listing of everything you do on brew day from start to end, without anything missing. Every adjustment you make, every switch you flick, and so forth. For example, my process is documented here.

Kal

Auber 2352 has automatic and manual mode, and will work well for an e-BIAB process. Set the temp setpoint for your dough-in temp, then reset it for your mash temp when you dough-in, then reset it for each higher mash temp step, then reset it to just below boiling when you pull the bag and want to boil, then switch it over to manual mode to dial-in your desired boil vigor. If you want any further automation (like pre-programming all of this at once), you will need to look at something else.

Back