Appropriate time to plant in WA state, and where do I get seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12lbchevelle

Reaction score
As the title states, I want to grow at least enough Olympia or Cascade hops in order to achieve 100 IBU from a 5 gal brew. Can this be done in one season's planting? If so when do I plant and where do I obtain the seeds? Thanks, Dan

As the title states, I want to grow at least enough Olympia or Cascade hops in order to achieve 100 IBU from a 5 gal brew. Can this be done in one season's planting? If so when do I plant and where do I obtain the seeds? Thanks, Dan

My cascades were about two years old the first time I got more than a couple of ounces, and I believe I got 16 ounces (dried) from them that second season. The next year, I got almost double that. I would say that expecting more than an ounce or two the first year (at most) would be too optimistic. They need to put down roots, and spend energy on growing.

I've never heard of anybody growing olympia hops- maybe they're not available or else I'm just not aware of anyone growing them.

Also, don't bother looking for seeds, those are only for hop breeders, which is a very small market. Root cuttings called rhizomes are what we use for planting hops. The rhizome season is almost over, or is already over for this year for most nurseries.

My local place is now taking pre orders on rhizomes, they say they'll have them at the end of the month or early april. Thanks for the replys guys!

Back