Hops Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I was at a great party last friday in a huge barn with a live band and lots of good times. There were 3 cornies there and I can only assume they were homebrews (there were a few HBers present). Anyway, one of the beers was what I thought was an IPA...reallly and I mean REALLY "piney" tasting and smelling. It was fantastic, and I'd like to try to brew something like it. I've read that Simcoe hops are "piney", does anyone else know what would give a distinct pine aroma and taste? Thanks.

some IPAs (like rogues now defunct Juniper Pale Ale) actually have juniper berries in them, and that will certainly give you that flavor

a lot of different american hop varieties can be described as 'piney'

most books on homebrewing have a chart of hop flavors to be found somewhere in the pages- how to brew and brewing classic styles both do, and so does designing great beers

pay attention to the timing of additions- id imagine additions from 20 to 0 minutes would give you the most flavor, along with dry hopping for that aroma

If your looking for pine, you need not look any further that Simcoe my friend. No hop that I'm aware of can out-pine Simcoe hops.

Thanks for the replies! Maybe I'll try an all-Simcoe IPA.

i have an all-simcoe, all-golden promise ipa dry-hopping right now- ill let you know how it is when i keg it later this week

ps- its 15 pounds golden promise, 9-ounces simcoe- all late additions, no bittering

2 oz @ 20 min, 2 oz @ 5 min, 2 oz @ knockout, 3 oz dry-hop for one week

i have an all-simcoe, all-golden promise ipa dry-hopping right now- ill let you know how it is when i keg it later this week

ps- its 15 pounds golden promise, 9-ounces simcoe- all late additions, no bittering

2 oz @ 20 min, 2 oz @ 5 min, 2 oz @ knockout, 3 oz dry-hop for one week

That sounds good. I'd like to try something like that using all Maris Otter, and some Chinook for bittering. Keep us updated on yours!

all late additions, no bittering

I did this with my last IPA. Some people seem to think that if you don't do a 60 min. bittering addition you won't get any hop bitterness and therefore your beer will be too sweet and unbalanced. This just isn't true. Late additions with relatively high alpha, dual purpose hops (Simcoe, Centennial, or Summit for example) will give your beer a pleasant bitterness and fantastic hop flavor/aroma. I really like this method.

Okay, there is a regional beer here called Hopalicious and it is!
I way too new to be making a recipe but I sure would like to brew this.
So I'll ask a couple questions here for research.

It is a pale ale and I think I could build on a Sierra Nevade clone recipe. The label claims they add Cascade hops 11 times.

But it is not a terribly bitter beer, certainly no more bitter than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I could believe that there is no or few 60 minute hops.

So what would be a hop schedule for 11 additions of Cascade hops without a lot of bitterness?

Thanks in advance.

Back